A genetic conundrum with

TopCat® 15:53 16 Apr 2010

I've thought long and hard about this recent medical break-through announced by scientists at the University of Newcastle. click here

Already in the autumn of my own life I can't help but admire the wonderful medical and genetic advances which have already been made during my lifetime for the benefit of the human race. I am sure there will many more to come as time moves on, and I applaud the skills and dedication of everyone involved.

This latest research is in my opinion a wonderful opportunity to possibly prevent some inherited diseases and, if allowed to progress to completion, the chance to break the family chain of genetic disorder through the resulting children.

I'd be interested to read your opinions, supportive or otherwise. TC.

morddwyd 20:15 16 Apr 2010

We have a family, so I cannot begin to think what it is like to long for a child and not to be able to have one.

However, I cannot help but think that by working around conception and birth problems we are by-passing nature's normal checks and balances.

Like I say, easy for me to say, with a completed family.

Jim Thing 20:37 16 Apr 2010

Having lost a 13-year-old granddaughter to cystic fibrosis, I support all properly-regulated research aimed at preventing or curing inherited disease.

TopCat® 23:06 17 Apr 2010

It was my own brother's terrible loss of his lovely seventeen year old daughter, ironically from the same disease as Jim's granddaughter, that was what finally helped me to my decision on supporting this research. What my brother, his wife and that child went through over those latter years was unbearable.

Many other generic diseases cause great anguish to patients, carers and to all others concerned, so the quicker researchers get proper funding and establishment backing, the sooner newer discoveries can be made.

On an insensitive note, we have to factor in the cost to the country these genetic diseases cause, but on a much happier note, just think of the future standard of life possible for all who have had their genetic chain totally and irrevocably severed. TC.

rdave13 23:27 17 Apr 2010

With the good will in the world I believe that 'natural selection' of nature should not be played around with.
Medical science is teetering on Nature's work and generations will suffer for it. This is in my humble opinion only.
With deepest respect to Jim Thing and TopCat®.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017