General enquiry - baggage allowances

exdragon 17:01 08 Oct 2008

Hi - I know there are many frequent fliers among the forum-ites, so can someone tell me how I can get a definitive answer to how much cabin baggage I can take?

I'm going to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur tomorrow and according to their website, I can take one cabin bag of no more than 5 kg plus a laptop, briefcase or purse. Elsewhere it says I can take a handbag, overcoat, and several other things. I rang Malaysia Airlines this afternoon and they say the cabin bag can be up to 7 kg. It's the right dimensions, luckily. Needless to say, I'm going economy!

Kevscar1 17:14 08 Oct 2008

It varies for different airlines so yo need to go with what they have told you.

Jak_1 17:23 08 Oct 2008

A look at their site say's, for economy class, 1 piece of luggage weighing no more than 5Kg approx 10.4 lbs.

In addition to your carry-on baggage, the following articles can be carried in the
cabin:
• a handbag, pocket book or purse;
• an overcoat, wrap or blanket;
• a small camera or a pair of binoculars;
• a reasonable amount of reading material for the flight;
• an infant carry cot;
• walking stick/canes or crutches and/or braces/prosthetic devices, which the
passenger is dependent on;
• electronic equipment such as cell phones, portable music players, laptops;
• Syringes or needles for personal medical use with needle guard in place. These
have to be accompanied by the medication in its original labelled container.

exdragon 17:28 08 Oct 2008

Kevscar - I've got 2 diferent answers, one by phone and one from the website - up to 7 kg from the phone enquire and no more than 5 kg on the website.

Jak_1 - if you look on page 4 of their pdf, your list above has been reduced to a laptop, briefcase, purse etc.

Not a huge problem in the scheme of things, but I don't want to turn up tomorrow and have to make the contents of my handbag vanish. On the other hand, perhaps I can persuade my other half to wear a coat with big pockets!

I would say that person on the phone is more likely to be mistaken than their website.

If there is anything on the list that Jak_1 quotes that isn't on their pdf that you wish to bring then I suggest printing out a copy of that webpage. That way if they do stop you, you can argue that you have been misinformed by their own company.

In my own personal experience of flying, I find that hand luggage is rarely weighed anyway - it would be quite easy for someone to leave it with someone else while checking in and then taking it to the departure lounge with them.

Jak_1 17:43 08 Oct 2008

Not on the pdf I am reading from!

click here

Page 4 is about dangerous goods, though I supose a handbag could fall into that cattegory :)

exdragon 18:00 08 Oct 2008

[email protected] - that's what started this in the first place! I printed it off and the saw that the list was abbreviated to that in my post of 17..28.

Jak_1 - I can't open that - I think it must be the one I keep having trouble with and the only way I can get to it from the wesite is to reboot for some reason!

And yes, my handbag could be described as a dangerous article: unless I ditch some of the contents, it's probabl;y bigger than a small African country!

Kevscar1 18:20 08 Oct 2008

To avoid any problems go with the least of the 2 pieces of advice that way you won't have to worry.

exdragon 18:52 08 Oct 2008

Two different documents available.

Thanks!

Jak_1 20:35 08 Oct 2008

Glad you have it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?