General election campaign TV debate

hssutton 14:35 04 Apr 2015

I'm extremely suprised there's been no one commenting on TV debate, so here goes.

This question is about the point made by Mr Farage and the comment regarding health and the money being spent on non British residents, I'm not talking about the HIV problem, but the wider issue of cost. please keep you comments civil. Ok I'm not a Farage fan and doubt that I will vote for UKIP, But I do think he made a very valid point. Based mainly on my own experience, but I'm sure there are many others with similar experiences.

As some of you already know I'm getting on in years 80 in October with my wife being 77. Over the past few years we have been at odds with Social Services regarding care and supportof my severely disabled 46 year old daughter. Cerebral Palsy. 12 Months ago due to the extreme stress my wife and I were under we asked SS for help with our daughter, requesting two hours each weekday morning. The response from SS was "due the severity of you daughters condition two carers would be required, unfortunately funding is not available to pay for two carers, but we could agree to one carer for one hour on two morning per week, a rather pointless suggestion as my wife would still be doing all the work. This leaves us with caring for our daughter 24/7 with no help whatsoever. Speaking to our MP and also CAB as been of no help whatsoever. However the CAB helped in drafting a formal Complaint to SS, this is required before the Local Government Ombudsman can be involved in the case.

john bunyan 17:17 04 Apr 2015

hssutton

I am only a year or two younger than you and am full of admiration for you and your wife. It must be an enormous strain to do the amount of caring you do for your daughter. It must be a worry as to what will happen long term if you become incapable of carrying on.

It seems to me that the "savings" that you are making to the care of your daughter compared wit full time residential care are enormous , and the SS should recognise that in providing more care. I think it inevitable that as the demands on the overall NHS budget rise there will have to be increases in taxation or NI.

I worked for 10 years in Holland , with a different form of payment, that worked quite well - the more you earned, the more you paid in insurance and up front - up to a limit based on earnings.

I think migrants to the UK should have to pay their own insurance for the first 4 - 5 years , subject, in the case of EU citizens their being given, free, the same level of treatment as in their own country. Non EU ought to have to pay or have insurance until they have paid into the system for a few years.

In many EU countries you have to have insurance as a UK visitor if you wand a reasonable level of care.

hssutton 19:49 04 Apr 2015

Spider with regards to Spain all things are not equal. My friends who recently left Spain did so due to health problem, the husband had to go into hospital and did indeed receive medical care, but is wife had to travel daily to take food and feed him, also to attend to his hygiene and take home any washing of night attire. This she had to do daily, this also applied to the Spanish, so effectively he received similar treatment, but Spain is not neccesarily the rest of the world.

I'm in full agreement with John (thanks for those kind words).

Carers UK have informed me that Social Services have probably acted illegally hence the formal letter of complaint and the possibilty of my handing this problem over to the Ombudsman. I had a meeting with a SS manager last Friday. so I am now awaiting a response from SS.

LanceAlot 03:52 05 Apr 2015

The NHS is the biggest employer apart from the Indian railway companies. It really doesn't seem fair that British citizens such as the OP has to suffer because a lot of the NHS funds are being used for EU AND Non-EU citizens:

NHS counts £900 million cost of treating EU visitors Britain has paid out more than £900 million to EU countries to cover the costs of ­ British patients who fell ill abroad – and received just £49 million back for NHS treatment of overseas visitors, according to new figures. click here if you are not a citizen of the EU? A bit more difficult, but not insurmountable. A valid visitor’s visa will allow you to obtain GP services and an NHS number legally. From there, with some initiative and persistence, it is not too difficult a step to access expensive and long-term medical care.

There is also anecdotal evidence that is even more frightening but undoubtedly true. There are stories of heavily pregnant women arriving in the UK because childbirth qualifies for emergency care and the child would be British, thereby providing the mother with residency rights. There are tales of families relocating because a child has severe congenital or acquired illness and of large numbers of patients with HIV coming to the UK because that is their only hope of getting effective treatment. There are even stories of patients landing at Heathrow in kidney failure and being blue-lighted to hospital for dialysis. The government has no idea how much is spent on Non-EU citizens but has guestimated the cost at millions, whereas some estimate it as billions.

What

LanceAlot 02:43 06 Apr 2015

No doubt it's all the migrants doing!

I don't know why you should blame it on the migrants. That's a little unfair.

Cameron has admitted he has done nothing to stem the tide of immigration and thus has failed to keep his pledge to keep the figures to thousands instead of the hundreds of thousands:

"Net migration to UK hits 260,000 - smashing David Cameron's promise to cut it to "tens of thousands"

The Office of National Statistics has announced that net migration to the UK was 260,000 in the year to June 2014."

That review started three years ago, so , hopefully, our government should have got it sorted out by now?? If not why not, and who's fault is that?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

BT 07:58 06 Apr 2015

My case was simply that 'insurance is insurance' - you pay your premium and you are immediately covered for the particular risk.

Not necessarily. It depends on what the insurance is for. In the case of many PRIVATE health insurance schemes there are qualifying periods for various conditions, which are often not covered if you already have the condition when you join the scheme, or have been in the scheme for a certain length of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?