Gender Checks on SA Athlete

laurie53 15:47 26 Aug 2009

According to the many reports, Caster Semenya, tha South African runner, has to undergo a complex series of tests to ensure she is female.

Now I may be a tad old fashioned but I always thought that males and females have certain sets of equipment that sets them apart.

Even if, in this modern age, there have been some surgical or hormonal "adjustments" it is still pretty difficult to implant a working prostate gland or ovaries.

I would also have thought it was a pretty basic DNA test.

smartpoly 16:00 26 Aug 2009

Its more about chemicals than equipment, tests have shown well above normal testosterone levels in previous checks and the only action, I believe, is to request a gender check.
click here

interzone55 17:07 26 Aug 2009

Same with one of my brothers, but not for quite as long.

The day his birth was to be registered his front bottom changed shape somewhat, so he was registered as a male and my mum had to think of a new name, as he would have been unhappy being called Mary for the rest of his life...

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:18 26 Aug 2009

Anyone with any knowledge (from their friends of course) of 'Ladyboys' etc. will understand that male and female genders can be somewhat difficult to assess.

G

Cymro. 17:35 26 Aug 2009

The biggest problem I have with all this is that the athlete concerned has been put through a very degrading experience by the media even before any tests have been carried out.

On one TV program that I saw the BBC were on about how the athletes privacy had been invaded but it was them that were going on about it more than anyone.

The whole business has been very badly handled and any tests that were thought to be necessary should have been cried out discretely and preferably before the media caught on to the story.

laurie53 20:04 26 Aug 2009

I have nothing against gender checks, and I agree that confusion can arise.

What I do take issue with is the statement that these checks need to be long and complex.

canarieslover 20:14 26 Aug 2009

Why is it that when a male athlete finishes way behind the rest, nobody calls for a sex test???????

Jak_1 20:26 26 Aug 2009

Drug tests can be instigated for winners, especially winners by some distance, so why the outcry! She did afterall win by a country mile so to speak as she was yards ahead of the second placed. It is not unknown for trans-gender atheletes to compete in events, born a male and changed to female minus certain anatomical bits! So should we really be surprised that this test has been called for in this day and age where winning a prestigious event can lead to many other more profitable areas!

Jak_1 20:31 26 Aug 2009

"Why is it that when a male athlete finishes way behind the rest, nobody calls for a sex test???????"

Because no one cares about someone coming last as it has no effect on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd places!

interzone55 21:00 26 Aug 2009

The outcry here is that the requirement for a gender test was announce, by accident, before the race.

It seems the statement was sent to the wrong fax machine and made it's way to the media...

Armchair 21:32 26 Aug 2009

A good way to sort this out once and all would be to abolish separate events for men and women. This way you could scrap half of the existing events, and you would only have the best runners, long jumpers etc. in each event.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?