Gas and electric costs

DazM 14:12 16 Jan 2008

Hi all,
Ive now lived in my current property for a few months.
Based on the last two months actual meter readings
Gas is £100 pcm
Electric £40 pcm
Its a 3 bed victorian terrace,Gas combi boiler and no fire.
Both myself and partner work full time and the kids are at school.
They seem high to me,what do you think.

mrwoowoo 14:35 16 Jan 2008

Myself,wife + 2 kids.
Electric is £60 pcm
Gas is £25 pcm
I admit that we hardly use gas at all.
We have 2 pc's,2 tv,s and a ps 3 almost permenately on.All washing is tumble dried and we use an electric heater instead of the central heating which is hardly used.
Electric is 8.67 pence per unit.
Gas... no idea.

DazM 14:40 16 Jan 2008

thanks mrwoowoo
£55pcm less than i pay overall,ive roughly the same number of pcs etc
combi boiler must be the cost driver

sinbads 14:56 16 Jan 2008

get the best deal ;but wait awhile till market settles click here

newman35 15:33 16 Jan 2008

The pc's, tv's and ps will not really come into your cost equation at all.
The heavy Kwh users are tumble driers, heaters, cookers, dishwashers, immersion, etc.
Must say the figures seem high to me, 5 bed hse, 3 public rooms. Total power bill around £950 pa, using off-peak electric storage. No other bills, no gas, no oil.
Live in Northern Britain, so no 'tropical' southern weather here!

DANZIG 15:55 16 Jan 2008

£20 a month for electric
£40 month for gas.

Just me and the other half at home in a 2 bed terraced house and we both work all hours god sends.

We have no central heating, just a gas fire in the front room (on most of the time in this weather) and a gas fire upstairs (snap). The water is heated by gas and we have a a gas hob (but electric oven).

TV and PC's stay on most of the day on our days off (2).

Does that cost sound reasonable??

Also every year we get British Gas sending us a credit note telling us we have paid too much.

Tumble dryer hasnt been used for about 4 weeks,washing machine is on about 3/4 times a week.
No dishwasher or immersion though.
Turned the temp controls right back on combi will have to monitor situation.
thanks guys

oops partners login

STREETWORK 16:40 16 Jan 2008

Just opened my gas bill £198.99 the highest I have ever had with 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, etc, etc and a combi/pumped boiler only 2 years old. Bills up wages the same, thinks emigrating...

oresome 16:49 16 Jan 2008

It seems like most of the expenditure is going on space heating.

A three bedroom Victorian terrace as built will have very poor insulation properties compared to a modern build house...........although it's lasted longer already than the new one might.

If they've not been done already, the simplest and cheapest measures are to ensure the loft is well insulated and draught proof the doors and windows not forgetting the letter box and keyholes.

Ex plorer 16:56 16 Jan 2008

Where is your room thermostat, best place is in the room you use the most like sitting room. (Is it working correctly)
I have seen many thermostat in hall ways and when the front door is open the stat will call for heat.
As mentioned Rad thermostatic valves are savers.
When there is a very cold snap you will have to crank them up more as outside temperatures have a lot to do with internal heat but remember to close them down as weather gets warmer.
Good insulation in the loft etc. can reduce heat loss.
If you have a tank in the attic don't lag the ceiling under the tank, the warmth is needed to rise to help keep it frost free.
Shut doors,Share a bath;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?