The Games Up - YouTube

Seth Haniel 15:26 03 Jul 2008

Google must hand over the log holding details of every user who has watched any video on YouTube, a US court ruled.

The ruling comes as part of Google's legal battle with Viacom over allegations of copyright infringement.

Digital rights group the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) called the ruling a "set-back to privacy rights".

The log, which will be handed to Viacom, contains the log-in ID of users, the computer IP address (online identifier) and video file details.

click here

bstb3 16:13 03 Jul 2008

I didnt see if it was specified how the data should be provided. 12 Terabytes of user information etc is going to be a heck of a lot of line printer paper, if Google decide to be awkward....

It will be interesting to see if this is challenged on privacy grounds, despite the court dismissing Google's concerns as speculative.

octal 21:45 03 Jul 2008

What are they going to do? prosecute everyone? What a wonderful way to alienate people.

wiz-king 22:14 03 Jul 2008

But - I have not logged into youtube, I have watch a few clips and never had to log in - am I missing something? My IP adress changes every now and then as I am not on a static IP so someone else may have had the IP address before me. Who's checking.

D@ve 22:26 03 Jul 2008

Surely it's the person that uploaded the copyright material and Youtube itself that are responsible - not the end users watching them?

Blackhat 22:38 03 Jul 2008

My reading of the link (and I am no expert) indicates an obvious conflict.

Viacom; ‘It said it would not be asking for any "personally identifiable information" of any user.’

Google; ‘The viewing log, which will be handed to Viacom, contains the log-in ID of users, the computer IP address (online identifier) and video clip details.’

This would appear to be subject to data protection. I would suggest that Google asks Viacom to verify with the government of every country in the world that has internet access if they would not be in breach of their respective policies on data protection of their citizens.

That might stall things a bit!

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:09 03 Jul 2008

I'm not sure it would breach the DPA, would it?

Wouldn't they have to get your personal details from your ISP?

Blackhat 23:17 03 Jul 2008

It might not breach the DTA but to verify that would not Viacom need to do so?

Blackhat 23:43 03 Jul 2008

I am sure that both parties have very experienced legal representatives and will pursue every avenue. All I am pointing out is something that stands out to me, based on what has been reported in the media, we do not therefore know exactly all of the details behind the legal case and probable never will.

Details revealed so far are probably limited and subject to clarification. Based on the link provided I would say that there is far more to this than what has been released so far.

I click onto youtube and watch videos, I am not registered with Youtube but Google might have my details. Can I allow Google to divulge my details without my consent?

laurie53 08:14 04 Jul 2008

I am sure that some of the links given by other forum users have directed me to youtube.

Am I guilty of breach of copyright?

laurie53 08:15 04 Jul 2008

More to the point, is PCA?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?