Games Consoles-Not what they used to be

Jake_027 17:44 14 Jan 2007

Having recently been given some ROM's and an Emulator by my friend, I have been playing Sonic the Hedgehog as it was on the Mega Drive way back in the early 90's. It made me think that games consoles aren't really what they used to be-I mean look at the Mega Drive, the graphics weren't great but you could play on it for hours without getting bored. There were allsorts of different games for it.

Now if you look at todays consoles (the XBOX 360 and PS3)-sure they might have great graphics, but are the games as good? The only ones you ever seem to hear about are the shoot 'em up types-which provided you have a good weapon don't require that much skill. It's just not how it used to be.

I'd take the Mega Drive over he XBOX 360 or PS3 Anyday.

What about everyone else on here?

Jake

rodriguez 17:47 14 Jan 2007

I've still got a SNES and I like playing the Donkey Kong Country games - I have all 3 and even though they're aimed at kids I love it. :-D

sean-278262 01:48 16 Jan 2007

There reason is simple for this. Graphics is a good thing in some ways (take gran turismo) however people like very specific things (grand theft auto). However the reason for this is big companies. EA games is a great example. Took over Westwood studios (Who made the genre defining Command and Conquer series). Red Alert 2 and its expansion were good and released just after EA took over however westwood studios were still located in their long lasting offices and still independant.

Then someone at EA decided to relocate them and throw new people to the design team who had not worked on such a highly respected name in the industry. This lost the series huge numbers of fans as the essential mix copied ideas heavily from other games. Long term fans lost interest and did not like the new idea. Too much change was introduced because a big company decided they could do it "better".

Similarly EA also cocked up on the new need for speed. The same city but at night. Not vaguely realistic. Easier to play and worst of all nothing really new. A cheap quick carbon copy of a game that in its previous versions had given me quite a lot of entertainment.

I miss the days of the megadrive.

wee eddie 09:54 16 Jan 2007

May I make a small suggestion to one who will soon have to come to terms with this problem.

You are not what you used to be! Not yet old, but older.

When you were younger, you were more easily involved in whatever you were doing. Just look at todays youngsters, they are as deeply involved as yesterdays youth.

bremner 20:13 16 Jan 2007

I have never had in interest in games consoles, I use the PC to play the occasional game ......until now.

We had some friends around at Xmas and they brought their new Wii.

What a great piece of kit, and totally addictive. We spent many hours playing the Sports games.

Trouble is my two teenagers now want one.

Dizzy Bob 22:45 16 Jan 2007

I bought a Wii last week, and i havent had as much fun with a console in years.

Typical Nintendo games, innovative and immersive controls, even my 70 year old mum was playing the thing!

DB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?