Gagging clauses.

stolensilver 23:59 30 Jun 2007

Just wondered as there is a diverse group of people here do any of you work in jobs that have gagging clauses in their contract? If you do, what is your job? And what is your opinion on the clause?

rdave13 00:08 01 Jul 2007

Work in the food "inclusions" industry and I'm not allowed to discuss anywhere what we do in case rivals get to know the processes. Fair enough I think.

WhiteTruckMan 00:10 01 Jul 2007

past or present is still bound by the official secrets act.

WTM

Kev.Ifty 00:18 01 Jul 2007

The Company I work has a Press Office. Ordinary employees are not allowed to talk to the Press. In fact we are not allowed to discuss our job with anyone.

I received an email from my Security Director last week warning me to be wary of discussing my employment role on the internet. I am not allowed a myspace type site if I want to continue working for 'them'.

rdave13 00:22 01 Jul 2007

The KGB are like that...

Kev.Ifty 00:38 01 Jul 2007

;-) The KGB pay better lol

Forum Editor 01:04 01 Jul 2007

written into my contracts with clients, and understandably so. During the course of advising them on future IT and internet marketing strategies I have access to company product development and marketing plans. I also work with several orgaisations in the financial sector, and I see sensitive client data.

It's normal for commercial organisations to want to protect their intellectual property, and a good way to do that is to have gagging clauses.

WhiteTruckMan 01:14 01 Jul 2007

Do you ever find that leads to a conflict of interests between different clients?

WTM

laurie53 08:42 01 Jul 2007

You're right on the Official Secrets Act, and that covers everything you learned as a result of your service.

So I cannot tell my son the advantages of using a ring spanner over an open ended!

The Official Secrets Act needs reform.

Laurie

WhiteTruckMan 10:02 01 Jul 2007

Neither am I allowed to speak out about NAAFI tea. That too is covered by the act.

WTM

Forum Editor 10:28 01 Jul 2007

Conflict of interests? That is certainly a possibility, yes, but so far it hasn't happened. If it did crop up I would have to speak to the 'last in' client about it, and if necessary withdraw, but as I say, it hasn't ever happened.

I do see quite a lot of confidential stuff, and inevitably people tell me things in meetings which could be of interest to competitors. They trust me not to disclose such information, and I wouldn't dream of doing so - it would mean the end of my business if I did. It's one of the reasons I'm so careful to keep that side of my life separate from what I do here. I might refer to 'a client' but I could never mention names or locations etc., it would be unethical.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?