Gadget to help homes save energy

peter99co 16:59 29 Nov 2009

click here

Has anyone seen these about?

Equipment like this has been available for industrial and commercial buildings for some time.

Wilham 18:04 29 Nov 2009

I can't help but be cynical when I see percentage saved quoted as typical. My retort is to say most of my electric bill comes under Economy Seven, and pay for the heat provided, this energy measured in KW hours.

If the device lowers the voltage, the rate of heating drops, and my thermostats extend the proportion of time the thermostats stay on.

By law the electricity I pay for is proprtional to the energy provided, and it makes no difference if that is measured in watt hours. or calories, or RMS volts and amps.

However, a reduction in volts could make my lighting dimmer, my dishwasher, washing machine, fridge and freezer less efficient.

Forum Editor 18:33 29 Nov 2009

of Wilham's post. I can't see this working in domestic situations.

Grey Goo 20:13 29 Nov 2009

A lot of appliances will run at 220-240V,only about an 8% difference. So I guess it's putting back the large magnet on the meter to slow the spin down.

interzone55 20:21 29 Nov 2009

I wonder who coughs up for equipment damaged due to insufficient power delivery?

BRYNIT 20:31 29 Nov 2009

A quick search of the web found a link to VPhase Technical FAQs click here It may help understand how it works.

A small section from the link

Can an electric cooker be supplied by VPhase?

Appliances that will not save energy are electrical heating devices that operate to a thermostatically controlled level; these appliances continue to consume the same amount of energy when voltage is reduced. Therefore dedicated heating circuits such as cookers, electric showers, storage heaters and immersion heaters are not connected to the VPhase output.

namtas 20:53 29 Nov 2009

As BRYNIT points out the Vphase can not save money7 on equipment that is wattage dependant for efficiency such as cookers or other heating device

However you have to look at the big picture and in any domestic and indeed industrial situations there are many areas where there is wasted power.
I can see that the Vphase could save money on the likes of refrigerators or freezers where the cost is incurred in running a pump which it has been calculated could handle a nominal 17% reduction in power input and remain efficient. Likewise we could also see a a 15% saving on central heating pumps.

onionskin 20:58 29 Nov 2009

Norweb switched us to 220v years ago.

morddwyd 07:59 30 Nov 2009

"Vphase could save money on the likes of refrigerators or freezers"

"Appliances that will not save energy are electrical heating devices that operate to a thermostatically controlled level;"

Although we use them for cooling, surely these devices are, in fact, thermostatically controlled electrical heating devices - they do generate heat, sometimes quite a lot.

Similarly with a central heating pump. If you slow it down it pumps less hot water, so the temperature goes down, so the thermostat kicks in.

I think the old principle applies - You don't get nothing for nothing.

oresome 20:34 30 Nov 2009

When I was nobut a lad, we had a 200 volt electricity supply,(that's after the gas lamps were replaced).

Most appliances we purchased were intended for the now standard higher voltage and we were promised the conversion to the voltage was imminent.

So we had a vacuum cleaner that lacked suction power, a kettle that took an age to boil, lamps that were dim and a lack lustre washing machine. It was only years later that they began to perform when the supply was finally uprated.

Chegs ®™ 16:31 02 Dec 2009

I took advantage of a "power down" socket offered free with the local paper,it is used to connect all my PC and assorted computer hardware(printer/sound system,etc)and when the PC is turned off,it then turns off the supply to all the other items.I also looked into buying a similar device for the TV & all the other items of audio/visual equipment,but I cant see the cost of this item being saved by its use as I simply turn off the socket supplying an extension into which all the rest of the equipment plugs in.The only minor irritation is having to reset all the digital clocks whenever we decide to turn the TV back on,we also have a prepayment meter for the electricity and turning off all devices on standby is saving us around £1 a week.I also know that prepayment meters tend to be the most expensive type of power metering,but we were refused a quarterly meter install when we moved here 5yrs ago(possibly due to my recent bankruptcy)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?