Fuel Shortage

ulrich 17:20 19 Apr 2008

In Scotland now that the refinery in Scotland is closing down for a month or more. I bet this spreads to England and guess what the prices will go up again. This was just on BBC news.

laurie53 19:58 19 Apr 2008

It's only a short strike, two days I think, but because of safety shutdowns it's expected to seriously disrupt petrol supplies over all of Scotland and much of Northern England for up to a month.

sunny staines 20:39 19 Apr 2008

thats the week i drive up to scotland for a short break. hope dont get stuck for fuel while up there.

ulrich 06:31 20 Apr 2008

Sunny Staines the problem is a 2 day strike, plus a week to shut down and up to or more than a month to start up, it will evidently affect the North of England.
I am glad my Tesco is doing the 5p off offer on petrol again.

€dstowe 07:19 20 Apr 2008

Isn't there something wrong that Scotland and northern England depends on the output of a single refinery?

Is there no facility for piping fuel from other refining sites for redistribution?

What a gift for those of a destructive inclination to know that they can paralyse northern Britain merely by disabling a single installation.

Or is this all hype?

tullie 09:04 20 Apr 2008

Here comes the panic,just like Christmas shopping,or any other time when supermarkets are closed for a day.

Quickbeam 10:43 20 Apr 2008

surely it's a cash shortage to buy it with that's the problem...

DANZIG 12:04 20 Apr 2008

Reports of impending fuel shortages I view as a kind of self fulfilling prophecy.

Reports appear in the media, so everyone rushes to the filling stations to get as much fuel as they can - hence causing a shortage.

2 or 3 years ago when this panic buying hit, my road was jammed solid for hours - there was a petrol station at the top of it.

Utter madness.

ulrich 20:34 21 Apr 2008

I suggest the FE closes this thread from yesterday as someone else has written one today.

ulrich 20:36 21 Apr 2008

Posted on wrong one, so many.

sunny staines 03:09 22 Apr 2008

postponing my holiday to scotland next week till this petrol saga dies down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires