Front Fog Lamps

PalaeoBill 00:30 24 May 2010

I'm finally home after a long drive and with a stinking headache. I'm colour blind and one of the side effects of this is very good night vision but it comes with a price. Drivers who are not quick enough to drop their main beam are a real pain, in all senses of the word, those with ill adjusted head lamps are worse but front fog lamps on oncomming cars are akin to having skewers pushed through my eyes.
In all the years I have been driving, I have needed to use front fog lamps only twice and even then they were only marginally better than dipped headlights.
Why are so many people driving around with there front fog lamps on. Am I missing something, has it suddenly become the done thing?

rdave13 00:46 24 May 2010

Unfortunately, for a long time, youngsters that drive now think it's "cool" to drive with front fog lights on.
Too thick to realise that they may be stopped and cautioned if they don't know the rules of the road.
It's sad I know but what do you do?

rdave13 01:00 24 May 2010

Errm, having thought about your original thread starter post, if you drive and colour blind, then traffic lights are somewhat complicated?

PalaeoBill 01:09 24 May 2010

That is probably the most asked question I get when anyone finds out that I'm colour blind.
Traffic lights have a white reflective border around the housing, so you can see the whole housing at night, and the red light is at the top.
There are lots of us (around 1 in 10 men) so they do think about us.

rdave13 01:43 24 May 2010

Fair enough. Like looking at a snooker game when TV was monochrome. At least you know that the red was at the top because people told you it was.

morddwyd 06:54 24 May 2010

"Like looking at a snooker game when TV was monochrome."

Don't know about PalaeoBill's particular condition, but colour blindness doesn't always lead to monochrome vision.

It is sometimes colour distortion, or differentiation which occurs.

For instance I can't use this site without tweaking my browser settings as I have difficulty with reds and blues, and some of these trendy magazines which use coloured print on coloured paper are virtually illegible.

Quickbeam 08:13 24 May 2010

The traffic light sequence is also that way so that if you have colour blindness, you know what light comes next from any particular part of the sequence that you first see them.

Noldi 08:48 24 May 2010

Totally agree with you about front fog lights I have tried them in the past to not a lot of effect. I find them better in heavy snow than in fog, 2 reasons they are lower and you get less glare back and 2nd headlights get covered in snow sow become dim. With traffic lights is careful when travelling in Europe, a lot only flash orange = proceed with caution you never get a green.

Noldi

BT 08:49 24 May 2010

"The legislation states they are only to be used in conditions where visibility is serious impaired – generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).

"We will be issuing fixed penalty fines of £30 to drivers who leave their front fog lights on despite the clear conditions.

interzone55 08:52 24 May 2010

I don't know anybody who's received a fixed penalty notice for using fog lamps in clear conditions.

In a similar vein, is there anyone who actually likes the IMAX projector lamps they seem to be fitting to Mercs these days?

muddypaws 08:52 24 May 2010

'Fog lights' used to be defined ( in my patrol days) as any lamp above 7 watts that was positioned with its centre less than 2ft from the ground and could only be used in fog or falling snow.
Any fixed beam light ie not dippable between 2ft. and 3'6" was a spotlight.
No doubt a google will reveal that legislation has changed in the last 20 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?