Fridge Magnet Collector

Yimbo 12:11 21 Oct 2010

I've got around 450 fridge magnets collected from my travels across the world over the years - all nicely displayed, thanks to an understanding wife!
They're a simple, pleasant reminder of happy times.

In an effort to give my hobby an air of the respectability it deserves, (you've no idea the "poor you" comments I get!!) I'm looking for the proper name for my pastime - i.e. as in stamp-collector = philatelist. There must be one surely! Any ideas?

And by the way, I've heard all the "Smart-Alec" ones - so please don't bother!

jakimo 12:17 21 Oct 2010

Then why post?

awest3 12:19 21 Oct 2010

found this...!

Collecting magnets, such as city and country magnets from all around the world, became a popular hobby, as also collecting of many other memorabilia. Many people are bringing refrigerator magnets from cities, sights, places and countries they've been to, because such magnets are popular and inexpensive touristic souvenirs. Though there is no official term for collecting magnets, but with a growing interest to this subject there is some approach by collectors to find a proper term. For instance, a russian collector proposes a term "memomagnetics" (Russian:), derived from words "memoriale" (lat.) and "magnetis" (gr.) Then a collector of magnets would be called "memomagnetist". These terms were accepted by the biggest Russian online community for magnet collectors.

lotvic 12:31 21 Oct 2010

This site click here is where other collectors discuss and show fridge magnets

Quickbeam 12:32 21 Oct 2010

Ooooooooooh...

sunnystaines 13:15 21 Oct 2010

sounds like you are "stuck" for a name

why not "magnet collector" with a special interest in the fridge theme.

spuds 13:29 21 Oct 2010

Why not invent your own special title, it may get into the next series of the Oxford dictionary or world renown publication.

Who would have ever thought that pot-holing, caving had an official title of spelunking?.

badhair1963 13:43 21 Oct 2010

According to Wikipedia, you are officially known as a "thuramgist" - click here

There you go. Respectability at last.

Simsy 17:05 21 Oct 2010

Cryowebberist.

Regards,

Simsy

Yimbo 17:19 21 Oct 2010

lots to think about! Like your sites lotvic and badhair1963. Thank you all who took me seriously!
"Why post?" jakimo? The posted replies speak for themselves!!

interzone55 17:26 21 Oct 2010

How big is your fridge?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone