The French Presedential Elections

zzzz999 06:43 07 May 2012

Amazing scenes coming from France.

But is this the cat amongst the pigeons or a fresh new start and way of thinking Europe needs?

Aitchbee 06:56 07 May 2012

Vive La Differance! The French people want a change and who could blame them?

morddwyd 08:39 07 May 2012

Interesting times.

Regardless of our own feelings, and general Franco-phobia, The French President is important to Europe and therefore to us.

Although he has already telephoned him, Cameron has subbed him in the past

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107636/David-Cameron-snub-Nicolas-Sarkozys-main-rival-arrives-London.html

That could cost him (and us) dear.

I personally thought Sarkozy was one of the ablest politicians in Europe, and the best one France has produced since Le Grand Charles.

rickf 09:09 07 May 2012

It's a breadth of fresh air and a new approach hopefully. I think Europe is about to change, hopefully. The French have always been more politically minded than us and is to be admired for that. Hollande has attracted a lot of the young looking for a better and fairer future. I wish him and the French well and of course it'll affect us here in the UK.

john bunyan 10:56 07 May 2012

"The worry has to be what will happen with a leader with no previous ministerial experience who is long on policy but short on pragmatism."

Has a familiar ring in UK (Applies to both parties.)

Aitchbee 11:20 07 May 2012

I heard the new French President, Francois Hollande, speak on the radio today, ... he has got a very good command of the English language ... that must make him an anglophile, surely?

john bunyan 11:51 07 May 2012

"he has got a very good command of the English language ... that must make him an anglophile, surely?"

So has Robert Mugabe

sunnystaines 12:47 07 May 2012

could france now have their own obarma or brown?

morddwyd 12:56 07 May 2012

"She, after all, more or less campaigned for Sarkozy."

Yes but she didn't refuse to meet him (Hollande) when he was a guest in her country.

rickf 15:10 07 May 2012

Well, Obama has been consistently blocked by Congress with a Republican majority. That's one of the main reason he has not been able to implement some of his policies and compromising on others,a bit like our coalition really.

ams4127 16:17 07 May 2012

With his swingeing tax increases forecast, I can't see anyone with any wealth staying in France. 75% tax is a bit much, even for the very rich.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?