Freezer problem

birdface 09:30 09 Mar 2012
Answered

Oldish freezer stopped working last week due to a couple electrical cut off's during the night in our area.At least that is what I think the problem was.

Now I am sure there was someone on here last year that had the same problem and did something to the circuit board to fix it.

The problem now is they do not do Freezers in the cream colour surrounds that we had so not only have we got to buy a new Fridge and Freezer we now have to buy a new Cooker.Washing Machine.Microwave.kettle ect,

Already ordered a fridge and freezer in Silver but just wanted to know if there was an easy fix for out old one before it gets dumped.

New ones might look Ok when installed but the old ones worked in well with the new Beach doors and drawers that I installed on the units about a month ago.

birdface 09:59 09 Mar 2012

Oops should have added that the red light stays on on the Freezer so maybe nothing to do with the circuit Board.

johndrew 10:50 09 Mar 2012

Is the motor running; especially continuously? If so the coolant may have leaked. If not the motor/pump may have failed or the ballast suppressor on the motor.

If it is working it may be the thermostat has failed or even a circuit board component.

You could try removing and refitting the circuit board if it is a plug-in type in case it is poor contacts causing the problem.

Quite often an older freezer will work well until it is stopped, either to defrost, as a result of a power cut or to move it, and will not start again. Sometimes the fuse will blow if the motor draws a lot of current.

You may find this diagnostic of help.

birdface 12:22 09 Mar 2012

johndrew

Nothing to loose so I will have a good look at it tomorrow when I take it outside.

Thanks for the info.

Although the red light comes on It could be a motor problem as it does not seem to start right.Listening you get a low hum of it which I think means that the power is not getting through it properly.

Could possibly be the evaporator fan so will see if I can find that first to see if it works.

Woolwell 12:28 09 Mar 2012

I had a similar problem with red light on due to power/door left open. I was advised to defrost the freezer as although "frost free" it probably had built up ice. This was impracticable at the time as I had too much frozen food and nowhere to store it. Bought a new freezer and then defrosted the old freezer. Absolutely staggered by the amount of water it produced and the defrost took nearly 2 days. Freezer probably worked ok after that but I gave it to a charity who do them up and recycle them.

birdface 12:50 09 Mar 2012
Answer

Woolwell

The Ice on mine was already going soft so it was not that hard to remove what was left.

Tried it the next day and although it started it was very quiet with no vibration on the freezer.left it running for a couple of hours but nothing freezer was still about the same temperature as it was before switching on.

So something not right.

I have just been told by the other half to leave it and never mind trying to fix it.

But if it is not working I think it is just instinctive to try and get it to work just to satisfy my curiosity.

So will class this as resolved but feel free to post if you can think of anything else.

Woolwell 13:01 09 Mar 2012

If you do decide it get rid of it then look in your area for a charity that will take it away, break it up for spares or recycle it. You may find a link through your local council website (mine had a link).

Aitchbee 14:17 09 Mar 2012

buteman - I've got a tall fridge/freezer which 'conked-out' about five years ago, but I have kept it and use it to store tins, dried pulses and other small items. It's in the corner of my kitchen.

My brother, in Ireland, buries his unwanted 'white appliances' in his back garden...and some people think that I am peculiar!

birdface 14:36 09 Mar 2012

AitchBEE this is for you all the way up there in Sunny Glasgow.

Latest news straight from Ibrox.

BREAKING NEWS ...... Press Release ...... Friday 9th March 2012 1200 hrs GMT

Headline : Glasgow Rangers problems ease !

Glasgow Rangers have secured an agreement for a new television deal. Any future games are to be shown on the History Channel !

Aitchbee 15:27 09 Mar 2012

buteman - I've heard that some of the star Rangers players, who have taken a massive cut in their wages, are going to appear on BBC TV's..."NO CASH IN THE ATTIC".

birdface 15:38 09 Mar 2012

AitchBEE

Makes you wonder where all their cash has gone.

No doubt we will find out eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?