Is freeview becoming a dead duck?

ste76 10:15 04 Jan 2008

I've just found out that the BBC and ITV are bringing out 'freesat' in the Spring click here

not much info on what channels there'll be yet, but I hear freeview won't be getting anymore channels due to it being already full.

interzone55 10:27 04 Jan 2008

Freeview will get more channels once the analogue transmitters are switched off and the digital spectrum extended. At this time they will launch Freeview HD.

Freesat has the normal freeview channels and more shopping channels, it is intended for people who can't get freeview because they're out of reach of digital transmitters, and has been launched to compete with Sky's "free" offering.

laurie53 10:56 04 Jan 2008

Freeview is already a dead duck because it is no longer totally free.

Kemistri 11:22 04 Jan 2008

I have been using Freesat from Sky for just over three years now. Is this different in any way, apart from including HD channels?

Si_L 11:22 04 Jan 2008

In what way?

anskyber 11:27 04 Jan 2008

Far from a dead duck it's gearing up to broadcast in HD. click here

anskyber 11:41 04 Jan 2008

The main parts click here

Stuartli 12:13 04 Jan 2008

As with Si_L's query. Why?

It is "no longer totally free" only if you opt to take out subscriptions for TopUp TV and/or Setanta Sports.

TopUp TV has, in fact, been available on Freeview for a number of years, although now in a much different format.

Stuartli 12:15 04 Jan 2008

I've been with Freeview almost from the first day digital terrestial television services commenced (then ONDigital) and it's served my needs for around 95 per cent of that time.

wallbash 12:22 04 Jan 2008

I'm with Stuartli on this one.
Have Virgen/NTL for the main tv set, but have a freeview set for the tv n the study. The cost of (£15) saves many 'fisticuffs' with the family.

Quickbeam 12:44 04 Jan 2008

I'm not in long enough to watch much telly. Freeview with the recording box is OK for me.

I will be interested in HD when it becomes available, but I still can't justify paying for a service that I won't use much. If I watch 4 hours of TV a week, that's a lot for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?