Free speach it doe n't exsist anymore

karmgord 20:21 26 Jan 2009

We are all used to the Government introducing laws limiting our freedoms in the interest of National security,but how can it be right to make it illeagal to protest (by putting up banners or posters)near thr Olympic site.So if you live near the site or object to the council tax levy or just the amount of money spent, you now can't protest near the site.

laurie53 20:23 26 Jan 2009

Link?

karmgord 20:26 26 Jan 2009

on todays news

NewestRoyWidd1 20:50 26 Jan 2009

Yes,but link please

karmgord 20:57 26 Jan 2009

It was on Radio 4

karmgord 20:58 26 Jan 2009

If I heard it correctly i'm sure it will become a big news item

lotvic 21:02 26 Jan 2009

I could only find this 'Long history of Olympics protests' from last April so it is a few months old click here

karmgord 21:14 26 Jan 2009

It's called the London Oylmpics Bill
click here
see pdf at above site,according to R4 today it could also be used to suppress protest banners & posters.

Forum Editor 22:58 26 Jan 2009

but I fail to understand how a law designed to prevent companies from using the Olympics in their advertising if they are not official sponsors could possibly apply to people legally demonstrating outside an Olympic site.

How do you know that it's now illegal to demonstrate outside the site? As far as my quick look at the bill is concerned the regulations about displaying notices etc. relate specifically to advertisements.

WhiteTruckMan 23:35 26 Jan 2009

and there might just be a thread of truth to this. It hinges on the obligations for security in section 6 of the (non negotiable) host city contract.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find the text of the contract available online. It can be had, but for a fee.

I'm unable to say with any degree of certainty that karmgord is wrong.

WTM

Stuartli 00:21 27 Jan 2009

Is this the link, or something similar, to which Karmgord is referring?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017