Free downloads

contractor 12:50 16 Dec 2009

They don't tell you that when you have downloaded their product you will have to buy it after you have been through all the speel, only the actual download is free. Its false advertising, if something is free this means no money will have to be paid for the product, to say it is a free download is misleading

Quickbeam 12:58 16 Dec 2009

I never did believe in free lunches...

babybell 13:14 16 Dec 2009

I feel your frustration, in the last week I have tried to find a programe to convert movie files, and as I only needed it for a one off I decided to use some form of free trial software. I found 3 sites that offered "Free To Download" software, only to be told I needed to buy it in order to use it. Very annoying.

canarieslover 13:39 16 Dec 2009

It's a case of 'read the small print'. Try googling for freeware instead of just free and you will be more likely to find what you are looking for.

Cymro. 13:47 16 Dec 2009

It`s the once that offer you a free scan of your computer that you want to watch out for. They will scan well enough, too well at times but then ask you to pay up to fix the problems that they very conveniently found on your system, problems that you were never even aware you had. If I don`t realise I have a problem then I don`t worry about it.

Chegs ®™ 15:56 16 Dec 2009

Searching for freeware still produces plenty of stuff that has to be bought to use,I tried to find a "freeware" app to run satnav on my mobile phone and as I'm not in the USA I cannot use the offering from google which is free.I read the advertising for the phone and it clearly states it has satnav,I had to download the app(200mbs)then the maps(another 200+mbs)and then have to pay to unlock the UK map.I resumed searching and found a totally free satnav app but it only works until the 1/1/2010 by which time I hope the google version will be available for europeans.The same is true for most software for any purpose,photo editing will often be offered as freeware but in-use leaves a watermark,video editing software will only allow you to edit tiny chunks unless you pay,audio software is also restricted in various ways.I have managed to find totally free programs for whatever I am trying to do,but it annoys the hell out of me when I have downloaded large quantities of data and after installing it,have to un-install it & go hunt for another that is free to use.I will buy software if I'm going to be using it often,but refuse to cough up for something that will be used just once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?