Free bargain of the year

IClaudio 19:14 24 Feb 2009

Evensong at St George's Chapel, Windsor (every evening at 5:15) is the outstanding free ticket, and one which I indulge in every week.

Sitting in the candlelight in this fabulous old building, with the standards of Her Maj and the Knights Garter above you and the tombs of Henry VIII and various other monarchs below, listening to some of the most beautiful voices in the land singing some of the most beautiful music, is the ultimate escape from reality.

And tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, the choir will be singing Allegri's Miserere click here_(Allegri) . Two choirs, singing from opposite ends of the building, with plainchant interjections, and a treble soloist hitting a famous high C... it'll be sensational, and all for free!

You may find it hard to get in, but if you do, you will find it the most moving experience (and you may get to sit next to iClaudio!!)

interzone55 20:14 24 Feb 2009

When I worked in Manchester I used to try to get to Evensong at Manchester Cathedral at least once a week to hear the usually marvellous Chetham's School choir.

Allegri's Miserere is definitely one of the most beautiful pieces of music, and I count myself to be very lucky to have heard the choir of St Martin-in-the-Fields sing it one Ash Wednesday...

IClaudio 20:46 24 Feb 2009

A couple of years ago, I stayed in Chetham's for a week while my choir sang the Services in the Cathedral. Manchester was a great city and the staff in the Cathedral very welcoming.

A very good friend of mine is the boss of Gimell Records, whose sole artist is The Tallis Scholars. For his 40th, they put on a candlelit concert in Magdalene College for an invited audience, the climax of which was the Allegri... one of those evening which live in the memory :)

laurie53 07:58 25 Feb 2009

Different musical experience to yours but I remember a magical summer evening many years ago.

1812 played in a natural amphitheatre on Salisbury Plain, with the "cannon effects" from 25 lb field guns from the School of Infantry, conducted in, not fired electrically.

As you say, some live in the memory (ruins any recorded 1812 for me now though!).

DippyGirl 10:09 25 Feb 2009

If you are ever in Cambridge try to attend evensong at Kings

wee eddie 11:03 25 Feb 2009

Evensong, too me, looses some of it's balm when it is light outside.

It is a lovely service with Choral Settings of the Nunc Dimitis and the Magnificat, particularly some by Parry, vieing with one-another for beauty and mental calm.

IClaudio 19:19 25 Feb 2009

And it was fabulous!

The mother of the treble chosen to sing the top solo part, with the high C, was sitting in front of me and resisted the temptation to turn round (the semi-chorus were behind us in the nave) for at least 5 minutes. Finally she succumbed, and I noticed a tear on her face...

Chegs ®™ 01:59 26 Feb 2009

click here

Allegri - Miserere - Part 1 - Tallis Scholars

Rarely,I will listen to something other than broadcast radio & this music is so beautiful I cant find the words to describe it.

wee eddie 11:15 26 Feb 2009

Are not the Acoustics, from within a Chapel, Church or Cathedral particularly those built in the Gothic Style, marvellous.

IClaudio 18:44 27 Feb 2009

Thanks for the link.

I shall be singing this on Sunday (in the solo quartet), can't wait!

Pineman100 19:29 01 Mar 2009

"Are not the Acoustics, from within a Chapel, Church or Cathedral particularly those built in the Gothic Style, marvellous."

Many years ago, I was on my first business trip to Finland. I landed in Helsinki on a Sunday afternoon in February, and decided to do a bit of sightseeing (in the rapidly dwindling daylight).

The architecture of Helsinki is a bit dour at the best of times, but in the twilight of a bitterly cold February afternoon, it's just plain depressing.

So just out of curiosity, I wandered into a Russian Orthodox church, for the first time ever. What a contrast! The place was blaze of light and colour from hundreds of candles and huge, glittering mosaics that covered virtually every interior surface.

There was a Russian male-voice choir singing most beautifully, without any accompaniment. If you've never experienced Russian choral religious music, you should rectify that omission immediately!

And preferably live. I don't think a recording could ever capture the spine-tingling harmonies that echoed around that huge building, with bass notes that seemed almost impossible for the human voice to achieve.

One of those moments when you truly feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?