Free for All !

TalYasis 18:22 03 Jun 2007

A few months ago I was asked by a journalist friend my views on music and film downloads.

She was taken aback when I said that very soon it will all have to be free.Simply because the young generation accept the clear water view that if it can be downloaded 'freely' then that is the future for music and films.

Nothing new here.Just take commercial radio and tv stations;all paid for by the advertisers.
Same goes for many local newspapers and most of the content on the net,including this forum.

Soon no one will have to pay for it as long as it is regarded as mainstream!

Forum Editor 18:28 03 Jun 2007

of this?

TalYasis 18:32 03 Jun 2007

The point is that we are moving away from DRM very soon,which is very good news.

Forum Editor 18:37 03 Jun 2007

Are we - who says so?

anskyber 18:41 03 Jun 2007

I think you need to lok at this.click here The move from DRM is a long way away from free music or films. In fact free in that sense is not the aim of removing DRM.

I think you have become confused about the issue.

anskyber 18:42 03 Jun 2007

My post is in response to TY rather than a qualification of the FE post.

Forum Editor 18:47 03 Jun 2007

are removing DRM locks from files, but that's not the same as saying that "..very soon it will all have to be free".

In fact, EMI is asking more money for files with DRM removed. The purpose of removing the DRM lock is to enable people who obtain music via one source to be able to play it on different devices, rather than through the software/hardware combination on which it was originally saved.

It has nothing to do with free music, per se. If all music was free, who would produce it?

TalYasis 18:52 03 Jun 2007

If one must give links to everything then some thoughts from old Genesis may help - click here

Kate B 18:55 03 Jun 2007

sting in the tail of Apple's DRM-free tracks click here Just buy CDs!

anskyber 19:04 03 Jun 2007

We7 is following the You Tube route of hoping there will be enough revenue from advertising to pay the music makers as well as the sites themselves.

There will I am sure be a market for such music but it is a long way away, a leap of faith than even Peter Gabriel accepted, from a replacement of paid for music in the convention way. I think PG has produced better music than the rather waffling advert for his new venture to which you linked.

So your free music assertion and the abandonment of conventional formats is to say the least a tad optimistic.

Totally-braindead 19:14 03 Jun 2007

The reason your journalist friend was a bit taken aback at your comment is because its not true.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires