Formula 1 2009

crosstrainer 17:51 01 Nov 2008

I must have been living in a cave for the last few months, and have no idea how I missed this.

During today's qualifying on ITV, there was a "farewell" section with the presenters explaining that they would not be covering F1 next year.

Oh no (I thought) this means Sky or the likes of have snaffled it....Not so:

click here

The BBC will be taking over for the next five years.

bremner 17:58 01 Nov 2008

It will great that we get to see a whole race for the first time in 12 years.

crosstrainer 17:59 01 Nov 2008

Yes, the lack of annoying ads will be a plus....\never really understood the Sony ones with lighted matches this season...Wonder who the presenters / commentators will be?

ened 18:00 01 Nov 2008

I believe they have employed Martin Brundle in the Steve Ryder role.

Apparently the FIA don't think too much of him because of his criticism of their handling of last years issues.

Only my opinion but I am praying they don't take on the ridiculous James Allen - I would rather listen to Murray Walker.

peter99co 18:00 01 Nov 2008

The Top Gear Lap by Lewis Hamilton clip was worth watching. I have never seen it before.

BBC taking over will mean no more adverts, fantastic.

bremner 18:24 01 Nov 2008

Jonathan Legard is to be the commentator with expert comment by the excellent Martin Brundle.

David Coultard has been signed up as well but as yet the BBC have not said who will host the program.

powerless 18:34 01 Nov 2008

I think ITV's F1 coverage has been good.

Nice to hear that Martin Brundle is going over to the beeb.

powerless 18:35 01 Nov 2008

Did the beeb show LIVE coverage of the 'early morning' qualifying and race back when they had it last?

powerless 18:35 01 Nov 2008

Did the beeb show LIVE coverage of the 'early morning' qualifying and race back when they had it last?

rdave13 18:40 01 Nov 2008

Well worth the licence fee.
To have F1 advert free.

interzone55 18:56 01 Nov 2008

NO they didn't, but then again, neither did ITV until a couple of years ago.

Bernie insisted on the full coverage of qualifying, so I'm sure the BBC will have to continue with this - probably on the Red Button...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?