The forgotten African floods?

anskyber 09:40 16 Sep 2007

It's always interesting to see how our media deal with world events. Hurricane Katrina, for example saw prime time coverage on the key BBC six and ten o'clock news. Top reporters were sent to present the news from St Louis and the true extent of the disaster was made known to us all.

The tsunami coverage, in fairness was covered well, but how could it be ignored.

The humanitarian disaster in central Africa click here on the other hand has been mentioned in passing with viewers sent off to News 24 (if you can get it) for further information.

Naturally this is an example of the difficult editorial decisions made by editors. Nothing at all to do with it only being underdeveloped Africa full of black people......is it?

Cymro. 10:52 16 Sep 2007

Spot on anskybar.
But sadly such things are not unusual as always we only get the news that "they" whoever they may be think we should get.

I have not been able to see very much of the news over the last few days but it would be interesting to know what it was that they actually did cover.

Some story about a cat stuck up a tree perhaps, or was it some celebratory wedding or other that took their fancy.

Mind you they do say that like our politicians we only get the news coverage that we deserve. I dare say that the media know what the majority of us are really interested in sad as that may be.

spuds 14:17 16 Sep 2007

When you see media reports about Africa, its usually about dictators, people being massacred or similar unpleasantnesses. What's a flood, when most of the time we hear about constant droughts and starvation.

Our local newspaper seems to put as much importance to an aggravated wheelie bin fire, as to any other world-wide tragedy.Shocking I know, but that appears to be human nature, more so nowadays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires