Football players of old

WhiteTruckMan 23:21 02 Sep 2008

Hi all.

I came across this passage in a sporting trivia book and I though I would pass it on in the light of a recent footballing thread as it makes an interesting contrast between the players of old and todays prima donnas:

"Billy Merediths debut for Manchester City against Newcastle on 27th October 1897 came in the middle of a hectic weekend for him.He worked in the pit on Friday, and took the train at 2am on Saturday morning, travelling until 11am. After the match he set off for home again, getting back at 10:30 am on Sunday morning. The same night he went back to work in the mine. City won the game 5-4."

Kind of puts things into perspective with modern players lifestyles, doesnt it?

WTM

dagbladet 07:28 03 Sep 2008

Kind of puts things into perspective with modern players lifestyles, doesnt it?

Oh not again. For goodness sake why can't people see beyond the premiership?

newman35 08:01 03 Sep 2008

But Man C V Newcastle in 1897 WOULD have been the present equivalent of the Premiership, surely.
So WTM's comments are perfectly apt.

newman35 08:05 03 Sep 2008

The only surprise for me was that the player was allowed to take a train!! Softy - the walk would have given him character!! (;-))

Colin 10:53 03 Sep 2008

"Kind of puts things into perspective with modern players lifestyles, doesnt it?"

And our lifestyles in general as well!

birdface 13:11 03 Sep 2008

Just to think it was only about 40 years ago when there was a £20 wage limit on professional footballers.How times change.

Picklefactory 13:17 03 Sep 2008

"Just to think it was only about 40 years ago when there was a £20 wage limit on professional footballers.How times change."

Approx 4mins pay for a decent Premiership player now, times certainly have changed

Stuartli 13:33 03 Sep 2008

£20 in those days was at least 50 per cent more than the average and with all travel, food, hotels etc thrown in.

Sir Tom Finney has been a pal for many years and he always told me that footballers in his day were very well looked after.

Incidentally, the day that Sir Tom made his PNE debut, he undertook a booked plumbing job in the morning for the somewhat surprised head of the FA (its HQ in those days was based in Lytham St Annes).

Forum Editor 17:06 03 Sep 2008

would run rings around the footballers of 40 years ago, never mind the players of 1897. It was an entirely different sport in those days, and players weren't nearly as fit on the field - mainly because they did other jobs.

The world has changed, and frankly there's little point in trying to draw any valid conclusions from how people behaved over 100 years ago.

Stuartli 18:11 03 Sep 2008

>>would run rings around the footballers of 40 years ago,>>

Not too convinced about that - if the players of yesteryear such as Finney had the benefit of modern day boots, footballs and better pitches, I'm sure they would be able to put up an impressive show today.

I well remember that even in the 60s and 70s Manchester United, for instance, would impress us with the speed and ferocity of attacks at Old Trafford, just as is the case these days.

WhiteTruckMan 19:26 03 Sep 2008

I think in overall terms, players were fitter in the 'old days' than they are today. Perhaps modern players could out perform an old 'un in short bursts, but what seems to be lacking in british football in the last 20-30 years is stamina. But we rarely notice it except in international games when we seem to run out of puff before the foreign competition.

I also think that player motivations have changed completely over the last 100 years too.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?