Is food rationing about to be introduced?

Forum Editor 19:38 21 Dec 2007

I just made the mistake of nipping out to our local supermarket and in the space of fifteen minutes I saw one of this country's major problems encapsulated.

People were loading their trolleys in a kind of panic, as if someone was going to come along and snatch the mountains of smoked salmon and champagne truffles away from under their noses. One woman in front of me at the checkout had two trolleys laden with Christmas essentials for which she handed over £366 - or rather VISA did.

I thought the shops were only closing for a couple of days?

rdave13 19:40 21 Dec 2007

Christmas cheer for the stores. Mad isn't it.

CatTrading 19:42 21 Dec 2007

FE they are, but you never know what some people may run out of!
And after all you can never have enough of something until the end of the festive time.

Local Sainsburys near some friends in Balham, South West London is open on Christmas day!

Forum Editor 19:45 21 Dec 2007

for any kind of retail outlet to open at all on Christmas day.

Shouldn't it?

rdave13 19:51 21 Dec 2007

Yes, I think; click here

User-1159794 19:58 21 Dec 2007

"People were loading their trolleys in a kind of panic, as if someone was going to come along and snatch the mountains of smoked salmon and champagne truffles away from under their noses."
handed over £366

In my supermarket it was frozen turkeys,tins of peas and cans of lager.
handed over £57.43

Do you ever stop being sanctimonious.

Legolas 19:59 21 Dec 2007

I couldn't agree more, its an absolute nonsense that any supermarket needs to open on Christmas day, the idea that anyone needs something that badly that they can't do without it for a day shows how pampered we are in our mollycoddled Western society.

Jak_1 20:00 21 Dec 2007

"It should be illegal

for any kind of retail outlet to open at all on Christmas day.

Shouldn't it?"

What about the pub? That's where I will be!

CatTrading 20:04 21 Dec 2007

Balham has muslim & migrant population who many dont follow the Christian way.
Even though they bump up their prices during the festive period so i'm told!

Devil Fish 20:21 21 Dec 2007

i work in a well known supermarket at the moment and to be honest it is frightening we have a fresh and a frozen delivery an hour (we usually have 2 during the day and three over night) to keep up with demand but it beggars belief the amount some people are buying

Jak_1 20:43 21 Dec 2007

It always makes me wonder when people buy huge amounts of food like this just how much of it will actually be used and how much will go to waste!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?