Food Miles

morddwyd 23:24 01 Jan 2010

Had some nice local smoked kippers today.

Unfortunately while they were from a local smokehouse, the herrings were imported from Norway.

Now I live in Fife, like many places between here and Yarmouth a place not unknown in years gone by for the "silver darlin's" .

Is it not significant, and sad, that Norway, outside the Common Fisheries Policy, has herring enough spare to export, while our own fishermen are restricted to mackerel and prawns on the few days they are allowed to fish.

Brumas 23:34 01 Jan 2010

Well said. I have no love for way our rich fishing heritage has been decimated - I am from Hull (I left there in 1965),once the biggest fishing port in the UK. They filled in the old Fish Dock, which is now a derelict wasteland and the rest of the seven miles of docks are just shadows of their former selves!

Quickbeam 07:21 02 Jan 2010

I doubt that the stable door Brumas mentions will ever be closed in our lifetime.

sunnystaines 09:21 02 Jan 2010

best kippers i had were from seahouses up north east way.

Forum Editor 09:34 02 Jan 2010

after the second world war, when the seasonal herring shoals failed to appear as they had before.

Further decline in the fishing industry occurred as a result of the 1976 agreement between the British and Icelandic governments to limit the number of British trawlers operating inside Icelandic territorial waters. Iceland had extended its territorial waters limit to 200 miles, and we came very close to declaring war over it. In the end we agreed to the limit, and our fishing industry suffered badly as a consequence.

The underlying reason for the industry's decline, however is declining fish stocks. UK fishermen say that the EU system of quotas is responsible for their problems, but something had to be done. In the 1930's the UK landed around 300,000 tonnes of cod each year. Now it's estimated that the entire North Sea cod stock is only about 70,000 tonnes. It's the result of rampant over-fishing.

morddwyd 10:05 02 Jan 2010

Lot's of reasons I know, but the fact remains that European countries outside the CFP have managed to maintain fish stocks to a sustainable, if not pre-50's, level.

morddwyd 18:02 02 Jan 2010

Sorry, don't agree.

Iceland and Norway mange stock to such a level that they can license other nations to fish their waters.

In the meantime Spain, and in the Med Italy and others, continually rape fish stocks, and in the North Sea Denmark actually uses a vacuum technique to "hoover" up stocks.

spuds 18:43 02 Jan 2010

One point that I have never understood, is the 'limits' that a trawler can take, and due to perhaps going over that limit, even by a small margin, any excess catch is usually returned over the side, otherwise a severe fine and possible prison sentence is usually given. No three strikes and you are out!.

Conservation is one thing, but total waste is another.

birdface 19:26 02 Jan 2010

[ restricted to mackerel ]
When I was a young lad just after the war we used to catch Mackarel when fishing in the Clyde and though still a shortage of food nobody would eat Mackarel even the cats would turn their noses up at it.
It was classed as a scavenger we used to just cut them up and use them for bait to catch other fish or crabs,and the odd seagull.
But today because of the herring shortage Mackarel is the in fish to eat.
They might taste very good I would not know as I have not tried one.
Never ever took any home as nobody would eat them.

sunnystaines 19:50 02 Jan 2010

same in the states and carribean, normal people had meat, the slaves were fed on prawn and lobster as it was not fit human diets.

now its a prize food.

Quickbeam 07:49 03 Jan 2010

Smoked mackerel is a is a very light and tasty starter. Most supermarkets now sell it, and it is one of the healthy oily fishes.

It's hard to believe that anyone that fished the Clyde all those years ago has still never eaten it...

Personally I rate it along with smocked salmon as a delicacy, and unlike kippers (smocked herring), they don't repeat for the whole day after consumption;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017