Font recommendations

jz 21:08 14 Jul 2006

Any suggestions for fonts for a printed material? I find that Arial, Times and Verdana, which tend to be used for letters and reports, look a bit unprofessional on a leaflet. I'm not after anything fancy or over ornate, just serif and sans serif fonts that look more professional (or should I say less commonplace). It's not for electronic use, so there's no problem of choosing a font that others have on their PC.

What do graphic designers tend to use?

€dstowe 21:45 14 Jul 2006

There's a discussion on fonts just been resurrected here click here

Haol 10:44 15 Jul 2006

Best place on the net

click here

Pidder 11:23 15 Jul 2006

My favourite for lettering on photos is Bart, doesn't seem to be listed in the above links.

jz 10:12 16 Jul 2006

Thanks everyone. The posting that $dstowe pointed me to was very useful. I won't be using Verdana - even it it is very readable, to me it looks like Ladybird book text!

Stuartli 11:27 16 Jul 2006

Windows does have a reasonably wide selection and it's easy to add more.

Go to Control Panel, for instance, and click on Fonts.

If you click on a font's icon you will see examples of its appearance and style.

Stuartli 11:29 16 Jul 2006

Just discovered that €dstowe makes the same point about Windows fonts in this thread a little further down:

click here

wee eddie 17:15 16 Jul 2006

Specially if you are going to be producing many different items over the years.

What I did was to create a couple of pages with large and small text, some in bold and some italics. With my short list of Fonts that I felt had the right image for me. I tried each one in turn.

I ended up with Times New Roman, but each one of us will have a slightly different idea of what lends gravitas to our pronouncements and chose a different one.

I had enjoyed some of the Script style fonts but they turned out to be almost illegible under certain circumstances.

Stuartli 19:46 16 Jul 2006

>>Times New Roman>>

Probably used by at least 90 per cent of Windows users in Word...:-)

Woolwell 21:18 16 Jul 2006

When preparing printed material try to think of those with visual impairment. I think that you will find that the preferred fonts are Arial, Serif and Verdana. Be careful with colours too.

Stuartli 22:05 16 Jul 2006

The one thing to remember is that you need to/should only use two or three fonts as a maximum in leaflets and similar publications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?