Flashing amber traffic lights?

Blackhat 11:16 29 Mar 2011

Portsmouth is considering just flashing amber lights during quiet periods instead of the normal sequence
click here

From the article 'there is evidence that traffic lights turned off completely result in no compromise of safety, because drivers take great care in negotiating the junction'

Has anyone experienced this on the continent & do you think it will work?

onthelimit1 11:22 29 Mar 2011

Yes - spent 3 yrs in France and 3 in Germany where this practice is common (that's the flashing amber, not off altogether). Seemed to work very well (but drivers were used to them).

Cymro. 11:31 29 Mar 2011

but as you suggest onthelimit1 drivers on the continent are used to such things. I don`t fancy driving through such junctions in the first few days after the system is put in place.

Forum Editor 12:09 29 Mar 2011

and yes.

carver 12:25 29 Mar 2011

I should hate to be involved in an accident at one of these junctions, a lot of people don't even bother stopping at a red light never mind a flashing amber.

interzone55 12:35 29 Mar 2011

A lot of towns in the US do this, flashing amber means approach the junction with caution, but continue if clear.

Seems to work there.

Maybe we underestimate the intelligence of our fellow citizens. The vast majority of us follow the rules of the road as closely as possible, so this should work here as well...

dagbladet 12:38 29 Mar 2011

"...a lot of people don't even bother stopping at a red light never mind a flashing amber."

I'm not sure how you quantify "a lot of people". Occassionally, the odd person pushes their luck with the last nanoseconds of the amber probably on the assumption that the other side is still on red and it is 'clear'. With the flashing amber that (albeit false) assumption can't be made.

Woolwell 12:46 29 Mar 2011

Flashing amber in USA works well as does turning right on a red (it would be turn left on a red here).

Quickbeam 12:48 29 Mar 2011

Am I right in thinking you have to have a compulsory stop just before continuing thru the red.

Woolwell 13:19 29 Mar 2011

You do have to stop before turning.

Flashing amber lights also mean that you should slow approaching the junction.
They also use flashing red traffic lights which mean that you must stop before crossing.

Forum Editor 13:22 29 Mar 2011

"I'm not sure how you quantify "a lot of people"

Spend a day driving around London, and you'll see a lot of people jumping red lights. It's becoming a common sight - drivers continuing over a junction just after the light has turned red.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?