First Payday Lenders, Now Energy Companies

oresome 13:12 20 Oct 2013

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, has said that the latest round of price rises from energy companies looks “inexplicable” and energy companies have a moral obligation and should behave with generosity and not merely maximise opportunity.

Should the church be getting involved in either business or politics? Is it simply rhetoric to garner support?

If the Archbishop, himself a former oil executive, has difficulty in coming up with an explanation for the energy price rises perhaps he should stick to a subject that he knows, where he can explain the events in a rational manner.

Leave the energy market to Ed Miliband who will freeze prices at a stroke should he ever get into power and the problem will be solved.

On the other hand, should Ed be getting involved in miracles?

morddwyd 13:19 20 Oct 2013

I believe the Church is a major investor in the energy sector.

oresome 13:24 20 Oct 2013

I think they also had shares in Wonga or such like, so it's very easy to trip up!

woodchip 14:40 20 Oct 2013

oresome I fully agree with what you say, they should be doing what they are supposed to do. That is teach spiritual things not be involved in none of the above, But it stretches back a long way on what they do.

Forum Editor 15:17 20 Oct 2013

The current fuss over energy price rises raises some interesting questions, one of which is whether this is a justification for having a nationalised power industry?

Justin Welby may go on about how energy companies are under a moral obligation, and should behave with generosity, but why should they? Is an energy company any different to a Petrol company, or an airline, or a carpet manufacturing company when it comes to its duty to its shareholders?

If we want energy companies to treat us with kindness perhaps we should bring them into public ownership, then we can be as kind to ourselves as we like, provided we're prepared to accept the inevitable tax implications.

Put simply, energy costs will rise and rise in the long term, and there's little that anyone can do about that, short of coming up with new ways to generate cheap electricity.

sunnypete 16:17 20 Oct 2013

My pet hobby horse is that iniquitous VAT on electricity and gas, but, of course, "they" are quiet on that...

wee eddie 18:36 20 Oct 2013

"Who will rid me of this troublesome priest"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer