First Major Test for Cameron

morddwyd 19:52 18 May 2010

An al qaeda operative who is a "serious threat" cannot be deported.

click here

Be interesting to see how the new administration will deal with this after all the fine words of the past.

bremner 19:54 18 May 2010

This is how click here

nangadef 20:17 18 May 2010

If the torture threat is true, how come three of the suspects (one subsequently cleared) voluntarily returned to Pakistan and have not been tortured.

bremner 21:18 18 May 2010

The SIAC was given access to information that could not be used evidentially.

bremner 21:21 18 May 2010

....therefore should we be looking at permitting the use of intelligence / information that cannot currently be used in court

spuds 23:15 18 May 2010

When I saw the title, I thought that is was about the EU and Equity Company's, Hedge Funds here in the UK ;o)

Forum Editor 00:14 19 May 2010

that because they haven't been tried these men can't be held in prison. They're considered a threat, so presumably they can't just be left to wander about the country as they like.

They'll presumably be subject to Control Orders, and that involves:

1. Electronic tagging
2. No passport
3. Living at one address
4. Curfews
5. Restrictions on visitors
6. No internet access
7. Attend only one place of worship
8. Daily reporting to the police
9. Daily monitoring by phone

I imagine it's an unpleasant regime, and it must cost quite a bit to administer. The Liberal democrats have previously been dead against Control orders

morddwyd 08:21 19 May 2010

Perhaps we should be looking at refreshing the internment legislation, as in Ulster.

Always a danger, but so are terrorists at freedom.

Bingalau 08:33 19 May 2010

I daren't put in writing what I think. There are probably a lot of others who feel the same way.

Brumas 09:12 19 May 2010

Never thought I would publicly agree with you old mate but I, and most other sensible patriotic Brits do so!

Monoux 09:17 19 May 2010

Bingalau-- unfortunately your comment simply highlights the very sad state of our country and laws which stifle the views of many people whilst protecting the militant minorities and wrongdoers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache