The First Head Transplant!

Z1100 12:18 26 Jan 2007

click here

In argument against Head and Brain Transplants, Dr Stephen Rose, director of brain and behavioural research at the Open University said: "This is medical technology run completely mad and out of all proportion to what's needed.

It's entirely misleading to suggest that a head transplant or a brain transplant is actually really still connected in anything except in terms of blood stream to the body to which it has been transplanted.

It's not controlling or relating to that body in any other sort of way."

In Russia; click here
Blinking unhappily in the daylight as Demikhov paraded it on its lead, this unfortunate beast had been created by grafting the head and upper body of a small puppy on to the head and body of a fully-grown mastiff, to form one grotesque creature with two heads.

The world's first (partial) face transplant has already taken place, but taking the head of one person and transferring it to the body of another still sounds like science fiction, yet in both Russia & the USA there are or have been serious experiments and serious investment in this, this [words fail me] abomination may fit.

That is not to say it will not be useful in the future, medicine has triumphed in many transplant cases, including a pigs heart in a human as well as many human organ transplants that may have been viewed as 'unholy' at their first conception.

So, where are we, do we really need to go down the path of head transplants or is that just a step too far?

Hanx!
K.

Sethhaniel 12:27 26 Jan 2007

Thought they had practiced on a few of the members here ;)

wiz-king 13:42 26 Jan 2007

Wrong, that was a brain transplant .... it fail and was rejected.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:40 26 Jan 2007

"Wrong, that was a brain transplant .... it fail and was rejected."

And then came to work where I do!

driving man 18:33 26 Jan 2007

put me on the list for a Tom Selleck (Magnum) type of head please LOL

Totally-braindead 18:51 26 Jan 2007

Regarding the grafting of the dogs head, I haven't looked at the pictures as I don't think I would like what I would see, can I be the first to volunteer to transplant the head of the scientist that is responsible for this onto a large metal weight and push it into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. This of course does serve a higher scientific purpose, I would like to see whether the scientists head can continue to function without the rest of the body and is it possible to drown said head by immersing it in water as of course it will have no lungs.

VoG II 19:12 26 Jan 2007

Isn't this rather old 'news'?

octal 19:16 26 Jan 2007

Sick!

Al94 19:25 26 Jan 2007

I find this whole subject disgusting, sickening and ethically unjustifiable.

Totally-braindead 19:45 26 Jan 2007

VoG™ the first articles from 2001 but the transplant one is up to date.

Stuartli 19:47 26 Jan 2007

The news that a head transplant would be attempted within a comparatively short period of time was revealed at least two months ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?