The first blustery day

Quickbeam 10:43 03 Oct 2009

of the Autumn, has now signalled the start proper of the 2009 conker season. The best one are the ones that fall when they're ready, not knocked off prematurely by stick throwers.

It's not possible to walk past a playground winner at your feet, whatever your age y'know... just thought I'd let you know:)

wiz-king 10:53 03 Oct 2009

The conkers have been falling for about a week here, the fun will be when it rains and the roads will turn white with foam and get very slippery.

Bingalau 10:54 03 Oct 2009

Better start colecting some conkers to put around the room to chase spiders away.

Quickbeam 11:11 03 Oct 2009

Is there anything in that, or is it just an old wives tale?

Bingalau 12:12 03 Oct 2009

There's been a lot of talk about it in the media lately and I think I heard that an investigation is going to be carried out to try and find if there is any truth in the story. I'm going to give it a try because I have noticed a lot of spiders in my abode lately, That may be because of a lack of household skills on my part of course. Then again spiders are pretty harmless in this country, so I may not bother.

Chegs ®™ 18:25 03 Oct 2009

I am content to let spiders have free roam through the house(especially the bigger ones)as I get some amusement from the shrieks off my daughter & GF when they realise a large spider is watching TV with them. :)

Forum Editor 18:44 03 Oct 2009

They'll control mites, and other invaders. People often catch big house spiders and release them outside in the mistaken belief that they're somehow doing the spiders a favour. Exactly the opposite is true - the spiders are better off inside.

If you see one stuck in the bath, or in a washbasin it's there in search of water. Help it out, and leave it to run off and hide.

My wife has an eye like a hawk, and spots the tiniest movement when we're sitting in the evenings. She says - in a loud stage whisper - "Did you see that?" "What?" I ask. "A spider" she replies "An enormous one". "No" I say, "I didn't see anything". It doesn't always work, but usually she'll subside into silence, although I can see her eyes flicking around the room - searching.

Bingalau 19:24 03 Oct 2009

Is that the spider's eyes or your wife's?

rdave13 19:30 03 Oct 2009

Usually, at this time of year, we get a couple of rather large spiders flittering across the room. Nothing so far but heard on the radio it should be a good year for them. Also for the daddy longlegs.
Both species are relatively rare at this time for us.

spuds 19:39 03 Oct 2009

I keep telling our dogs that they have to stop eating them (spiders that is).

Quite a lot of conkers around our way, but I do not know what is is, but many appear to be slightly oblong instead of round this year.

morddwyd 19:45 03 Oct 2009

"The first blustery day "

70 mph is a bit more than blustery around here!

Plenty of conkers down though, unfortunately they're still on the trees.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?