Fireworks

Colin 15:55 29 Sep 2007

Fireworks - why are they still on sale to the general public? It’s only the end of September and already the local muppets round here are setting off bangers and rockets late into the night and during the day. Not wanting to use the nanny state as an excuse, but I would have thought that in this day and age, the sale of fireworks to the general public would have ceased. I appreciate that some people do genuinely buy them for their own use on Bonfire night and New Year, but why start selling them so early? Having said that, I think that you can now buy them throughout the whole year. Outside of the appropriate times such as Bonfire night, they are nothing but a nuisance causing unnecessary disturbance to people and distress to pets. I make sure that our cat is indoors at those times. Where do these dead-eyed slack-jawed gawkers get the money for them from – or their mobile phones for that matter? Sorry to rant on, but a peaceful Saturday afternoon has just been spoiled and we’re now left with a cowering cat and a cacophony of barking dogs.

Forum Editor 16:04 29 Sep 2007

you really are upset, aren't you?

We talked about this last year, and probably the year before that - it's a perennial problem.

There are those who think that fireworks should be sold to licensed individuals and organisation only, and that all displays should be public ones - no back-garden parties. Then again, there are those who think that to introduce such restrictions would spoil the fun for lots of families who have a few friends round and let off some fireworks for the kids.

I'm not sure which is the right course, but I do think that there should be some tightening of the regulations - particularly with regard to when fireworks can be used.

Colin 16:12 29 Sep 2007

FE - you got me spot on! I have no objection to back garden parties or any other informal or formal event, it's just the senseless use of them that gets my goat. These idiots don't realise the upset & disturbance they cause.

Cymro. 16:13 29 Sep 2007

I am not much of an animal lover and am more concerned with the children who are injured and the old people who are disturbed by the fireworks but even I agree with you Colin. Like Easter, Halloween, Christmas etc. Bonfire night has just become an excuse for people with more money than sense to go over the top and to hell with everyone else as long as they have a good time. The fireworks manufactures and shops are more than willing to pamper to their perceived needs. I thought that new government legislation had sorted the problem out, or is it the police who are just not bothering to enforce the legislation?.

tullie 16:14 29 Sep 2007

It would spoil some peoples fun,just as the smoking ban did,but its like anything else,we will get used to it.Lets face it,everything thats banned upsets someone.

interzone55 16:23 29 Sep 2007

Yeah, lets not spoil the fun of the family behind us who let them off at a safe distance from *their* house, but it's only about 6 feet from my kitchen window.

interzone55 16:31 29 Sep 2007

I like that, brings to mind cletus the slack jawed yokel from the simpsons

Marko797 16:35 29 Sep 2007

Not being *bar humbug* or owt, but why have them at all? If they banned 'em then parents wudn't have to fork-out for the outlandishly priced items, pets would be safe, granny cud relax, the fire brigade could have the night off, and neighbours wouldn't have the risk of their house being set on fire, rockets coming thru the windows, or bangers etc being sent thru the letter-box. They're health & safety (& societal) nightmare. Then, once banned, the police cud spend their time more effectively catching these types of criminals, rather than picking on poor chaps driving their company vans who have 4gotten to display their 'no-smoking please' stickers!

jakimo 00:44 30 Sep 2007

Over the years banning fireworks have been discussed,or proposed many times by one MP or the other in Parliament, always to fall by the wayside due to the lack of support,

Forum Editor 01:08 30 Sep 2007

"always to fall by the wayside due to the lack of support"

Always to fall by the wayside because of lobbying by the firework industry more likely.

WhiteTruckMan 01:11 30 Sep 2007

would have no objections to a fairly hefty tax being slapped on them. That might go some way to helping things a bit.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?