Film of Sheffield in the 60's

Graham. 23:48 04 Jan 2011

Made by a German gentleman, never shown on British TV. In three parts click here click here click here

Forum Editor 00:16 05 Jan 2011

a fag in almost every mouth.

Diemmess 09:58 05 Jan 2011

Looks very professional.
Thank goodness the frame rate was not altered unlike so many clips from the BBC archives, where a producer can't resist speeding up quite recent film because it is "old."

The atmosphere of those times comes across very powerfully.

Graham. 10:38 05 Jan 2011

I lived very close to Dial House Club at that time. I was in a number of 'groups', so played there often.

The club was massive by any standards. The concert room could hold almost a thousand seated at tables, with many more standing. People would arrive at opening time to save one or more tables for their family, including children. There was a large extractor fan in the centre of the high ceiling to suck out all the smoke.

The people in white jackets were pot collectors, they went in between acts.

There was also a large 'quiet' lounge for those who just wanted to play Bingo (can you hear me in the Lounge, Tommy?), a playroom for young children and their mums, and a dining area selling pie and peas.

Outside was a well-kept bowling green and a small car park. Because most people arrived on foot, you could always get parked.

Bear in mind, this was all free. The man of the house was a member and paid just a few pounds annual sub. The prices at the bar were much less than in the pubs.

Quickbeam 12:08 05 Jan 2011

I love to see old films of bygone days and see the everyday street scenes. For the same reason I still watch old movies like The lady killers and the like for the dated street scenes.

Graham. 12:21 05 Jan 2011

I should point out I was only 18 at the time.

More about the film click here

Quickbeam 12:53 05 Jan 2011

I notice that capstan were big on sponsoring in the social blub scenes. In the entrance way, at the bar the dressing rooms and even emblazoned on the white coats of the club stewards.

Snec 13:57 05 Jan 2011

I was a youngster too, back then. I often used to stay with my older married sister who lived in Harthill and I made a lot of friends up there. People didn't travel much in those days and I think my ugly short-vowelled Lincolnshire accent was a bit of a novelty with the girls. I loved those Yorkshire girls.

Your post reminded me of my times at The Black Cat Club click here

I remember many years later, visiting a steel supplier who was entertaining me at his daughter's restaurant, getting stranded in Sheffield by the snow. I think a lot of people don't realise how much of a steep valley Sheffield is in.

Sheffield is a great area with great people.

Al94 14:50 05 Jan 2011

I had a trike like that, clip 3, around 9 mins in!

Quickbeam 14:59 05 Jan 2011

The one with the bread bin boot?

Graham. 15:55 05 Jan 2011

I lived in Harthill for a while, used to go to The Saxon on Fridays. Did you know The Tumblers or Pat Reid?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?