Filling out forms in black ink

JanetO 14:05 21 Apr 2008

I just completed my mum's postal vote for the forthcoming elections and after she'd signed in blue pen (with athritic difficulty) I discovered it should have been signed in black pen so had to get her to sign again. I know it may seem pernickerty for me to raise this point but surely in today's technology I would have thought computer scanners would have been able to pick up any coloured ink. Why does it have to be black? Surely blue it just has scanable.

peter99co 14:15 21 Apr 2008

Blue does not photocopy very well. I filled in a 35 page form and then read the black remark.

Quickbeam 14:19 21 Apr 2008

If it's a job application and you use blue, you might as well not send it in. That doesn't say much about your ability or suitability...

Coffee Adict 14:23 21 Apr 2008

I was always led to believe that black ink contained a metallic component which made it harder to erase, which is why one was always advised to write cheques in black ink. This may be an urban myth, but I always use black ink, just in case you understand.

carmichy 14:33 21 Apr 2008

When I worked for a Local Authority I always had to sign my letters with blue ink to show it was not a photocopy

Pineman100 15:13 21 Apr 2008

Well - not a colour photocopy, anyway!

pj123 15:41 21 Apr 2008

Not just in black ink but in CAPITALS as well.

interzone55 16:06 21 Apr 2008

Many forms are scanned for archiving.

The batch scanning machines used are amazingly fast, but scan a low bit rates to keep file sizes & processing requirements as low as possible. For this reason there needs to be as much contrast between the ink & paper as possible.

One place I worked we archived all customer letters with an Epson batch scanner, it worked at about 120 pages a minute and no-one watched it work, it was just fed piles of paper every 10 minutes or so.

Problems often arose when we looked up a letter at a later date and the TIFF file was unreadable. It was then my job to go down into the bowels of the earth to retrieve the original letter...

tullie 16:09 21 Apr 2008

Its common knowledge that everyone prefers black ink,as others have stated.

Bingalau 16:45 21 Apr 2008

Whatever happened to "Stephen's Blue-Black ink"? By the way that reminds me of another song... But the FE might be watching.

tullie 16:48 21 Apr 2008

Never heard of that,i can only go back to the fortys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?