Fill your tank before midnight.

dagnammit 11:44 31 Aug 2009

click here

A 2.3p increase (inc VAT) in fuel duty happens from tomorrow.

Cymro. 12:26 31 Aug 2009

I suppose this will turn in to another rant about how the poor hard done by motorists is having to pay more tax and so on and on it goes.

I just hope that this time someone will be willing to tell us which government services they are willing to see cut so that they can benefit from lower taxation.

I am also a motorist and as it so happens have to run a car but have long since learnt to live with ever increasing taxation. It is the way of the world, always has been and always will be.

What did the man say about taxation and death? something about ow they will always be with us. There are more important things to make a fuzz abot in this world.

dagnammit 12:28 31 Aug 2009

Am I ranting?

I ain't even a motorist. Just pointing it out so people can buy today and save a few pennies.

Cymro. 12:41 31 Aug 2009

My cars fuel tank hold 52 liters (petrol) so even if I could manage to get to the petrol station with a near empty tank the saving involved would not make the effort worth while. As I said "more important things in life etc".

Forum Editor 13:15 31 Aug 2009

and like lots of others I'll either absorb the increase, or pass it on to my customers. If I absorb it I'll make less money, and if I pass it on I'll be fuelling inflation.

Nothing changes.

Picklefactory 13:17 31 Aug 2009

If I empty my tank (14 UK gallons) and fill up tonight, I reckon I'll save £1.46.

Sorry, pointless post..... but I like sums.

Sad

I'm fetching my coat now.

:o(

Kaacee 13:20 31 Aug 2009

I have shares in the world's largest oil company, so please keep buying the liquid gold in order that my dividends remain at their current high level.

Thank you.

Armchair 14:03 31 Aug 2009

I won't limit my miles because of this. Will make full use of my car whenever I want to.

Already paid for the car. Already paying road tax and insurance (total of about £330 a year, which equates to seven tanks of fuel for my Fox, or about 3500 miles, which is over half my total annual mileage).

Bring on the extra costs! When are these nationwide road tolls coming in? Can't wait!

ventanas 14:04 31 Aug 2009

"I just hope that this time someone will be willing to tell us which government services they are willing to see cut so that they can benefit from lower taxation"

How about that vile entity called the welfare state.
Nothing would please me more than to see the back of that - completely.

Cymro. 15:14 31 Aug 2009

Even the Victorians had workhouses so as to clear the streets of beggars and such like. The country would be even worse off without some sort of welfare-state. The general public would never put up with such a state of affairs.

There are very few of us who do not get something or other out of the welfare-state at some time or other in our lives. State retirement pension, the health service, education are just a few of the things most of us benefit from sooner or latter.

Cymro. 15:27 31 Aug 2009

State retirement pension, the health service, education etc. and much more besides all have to be payed for and if a few more pence on a liter of petrol is what it takes then I for one are more than glad to pay that price.

Yes I know it hits the motorists but most of us are motorists these days. It also fuels inflation but that is not the problem it once was. We all complain about the state of the welfare state, the hospitals, schools, roads and just about everything else it is possible to complain about.

But we are never willing to pay the price of improvements to the system. The Tory government was elected in 1989 partly because it promised tax cuts. But we were soon complaining that not enough was being spent on the health service etc. We can`t have it both ways, low taxation means low government spending

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017