A Festive season postal scam?

TopCat® 18:01 22 Nov 2008

The following message purports to come from the Reading Borough Council as an advisory to all. I received it by email from a family member so make of it what you will. Apologies to the FE for including that word in this instance! TC.

'Christmas Postal Scam
Trading Standards Officers are making people aware of the following scam:
A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .
If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.
Please advise family members/Friends.'

TopCat® 18:10 22 Nov 2008

Thanks for that clarification - from 2006 I see!

I will close now to save me further embarrassment!! :o) TC.

rodriguez 18:31 22 Nov 2008

There are quite a few of these going round as chain mails. They just use things that were really scams, but are not any longer. Another one going around that I got was about a bogus delivery firm that left a card telling you to phone a premium rate number. This existed, but it was closed in 2005. It's just a new form of chain mail to collect email addresses.

Cara2 18:51 22 Nov 2008

Our local newspaper printed a warning this week - so don't be embarrassed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires