Festival of rememberance

WhiteTruckMan 22:55 10 Nov 2007

Just finished watching it on tv. As always, I find it a moving spectacle, but its a bad sign that it occurred to me that some of the faces I was looking at in some of the close ups looked awfully, awfully young. Especially from my own branch of the forces. I keep thinking that I was never that young, but then have to remind myself that I actually was, if not younger.

Guess I'm not quite ready to be a grumpy old git just yet, but its yet another sign that my perseverance is paying off.

WTM

Brumas 23:49 10 Nov 2007

I never ever miss watching it and I do think this year they got it right especially after making a complete lash up of The Last Post last year.
I will also be watching the march past at the cenotaph tomorrow morning.
Inevitably after watching the quiet dignity, pride and swagger of those marching past I will have a tear in my eye - I would be amazed if I didn't!

cahpsuth2 00:34 11 Nov 2007

From the first to last,remember them all.

picklsey 06:15 11 Nov 2007

when i was getting my poppy i was for want of a better word challenged as to why i put my money in that charity box and not in the one next to it, as they felt it was a more deserving cause.for a childrens charity i think.

well after a very very deep breath i said.listin son (he was around 20)you see i blame the education system for churning out so many thick a,h like you,because if you had a working brain cell in your air space you would know that these children wouldn,t be allowed to live nowadays if things had went the other way.then i walked away saying bet you wished you had went to school now.

we should and i will always remember.

Forum Editor 08:28 11 Nov 2007

mainly because my father was always very keen to go when he was alive, and I do it because of that, mainly. I'm always moved by it, no matter how the years roll on.

crosstrainer 08:49 11 Nov 2007

It's sad to say it, but many people forget that you can now be a war veteran at the ripe old age of 17.5.

There are, (according to today's news) at least 1000 war veterans homeless on the streets of the capitol on a regular basis...The Royal British Legion attempts to tackle these, and many other issues, funding itself with the yearly poppy appeal.

Forum Editor 09:08 11 Nov 2007

Like many other Londoners, I see these people every day. Not all young homeless people are ex-military, but a lot are, I know. My wife has spoken to some of them in the course of her work, and she says they have an aimlessness about them which is sad to see.

The Royal British Legion goes about its work quietly, but with enormous dedication. There are currently around 10.5 million people who are eligible for some kind of British Legion help.

Bingalau 09:15 11 Nov 2007

A young serving Marine is coming up to Thornton Crematorium to lay a wreath at the gravestone of one of his pals who died a few years ago. I will be meeting him to show him where it is. It is the first chance he's had. I go to the same place every year to pay my respect to him. He was in the same unit as me. (Although a lot of years apart) Then afterwards we go to our own little parade and service at the Royal Naval Association Club in Bowring Park Road, Liverpool. All arms of the services attend and we all have a good afternoon of celebrating the fact that we are still here, because of them. Dancing, drinking and an "Act" followed by a buffet. Can't be bad. If you are in the area then don't hesitate just drop in. But please go to a service somewhere to show your support.

laurie53 10:16 11 Nov 2007

The heavenly voices warbling away at some points were a bit too Hollywood for my taste, but, as always, very moving.

Like WTM, when the matelots started the Muster I thought they had sent the cadets out first by mistake.

I shall be remembering in particular one man I know nothing about. I was in the Reichswald Cemetery some years ago ago after a storm, and I bent to brush some twigs off a grave.

The inscription, like far too many others, simply read "A Sergeant of the Royal Air Force, known unto God"

As a serving member of a Sergeants' Mess at the time I thought, "In another time and place that guy may have been a mate" and I have so thought of him ever since.

We all have our own memories.

GroupFC 13:17 11 Nov 2007

I am a Cub Scout leader and have just come from our local remembrance day parade. I don't insist that all the Cubs turnout but was quietly pleased that we had about a 50% attendance across all the sections from our group, which was about 60 young people from 6 to 18 from the local community, along with the local cadet forces.

It is important that we remember the sacrifices made by earlier generations of young people, and we encourage and support the young people of today to remember. It is a very sobering thought that some of the young people in my pack, could indeed be veterans in a few short years time.

Clapton is God 15:13 11 Nov 2007

The Festival of Remembrance is always unmissable viewing as far as I'm concerned and it always brings a tear to my eye.

My wife and I went to our local Services parade through the town followed by a remembrance service in the Parish church and wreath laying this morning and I was pleasantly surprised to see a pretty good turnout by the local populace.

A few weeks ago Mr Henry Allingham (111 years of age) and one of the last survivors of the First World War visited my younger daughter's Secondary School and I was pleased to hear from her that most, if not all, of the pupils listened in awe to his stories.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?