Feeling your pain

badgery 17:53 30 Oct 2011
Answered

The PM said ""I am acutely conscious that families up and down the country have tight budgets,"

Does anyone else feel that it would have been so refreshing if he had said "Even though, because of inherited wealth, I have never known, and will probably never know what it's like to worry about household bills, you all have my sympathy".

I wonder if people might respect politicians a tad more if they all introduced a bit of honesty into their answers? (Not that I will hold my breath for such a thing).

ps. this is not directed at any particular Party, they all do it!

Aitchbee 18:09 30 Oct 2011

One cannot feel what another person is suffering, either mentally or physically.Don't kid ourselves.

Forum Editor 18:20 30 Oct 2011

To be honest I fail to see what's wrong with the statement you posted.

You don't have to be in the same position as another person in order to be aware of the fact that he or she has a tight budget.

birdface 18:24 30 Oct 2011

Cmon now if they told the truth Nobody would vote for them.

Flak999 18:27 30 Oct 2011

badgery

Even if he did come out and say such a thing it would appear so incredibly patronising that it would bring forth a storm of opprobrium. I don't suppose for one moment that DC or any other politician cares one iota that the common proletariat can't afford to pay their bills because of government and EU policies!

Why would they? It doesn't matter a jot who you vote for at an election there is no real choice is there?

They all basically do the same things!

badgery 20:23 30 Oct 2011

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the quote, just that it would be refreshing if all politicians could stop pretending they all 'understand' and 'care' so much - when their lives, in general, are quite far removed from 'ordinary folks' reality.

Forum Editor 22:51 30 Oct 2011

I've met quite a few politicians over the years - due in part to the fact that once upon a time my father was a candidate for one of the major parties at one General Election.

I've met people who were obviously very sincere in their wish to play a part in the way the country is run, and I've met people who I felt were perhaps in it more for themselves than for us. In other words, my impression is that politicians are no different from people in other walks of life - some are better than others at what they do.

The fact remains that when a politician says he or she understands that large numbers of the population are struggling to make ends meet, it's probably true - understanding something isn't the same as experiencing it. I understand that people on fixed incomes are vulnerable when it comes to the rising cost of some of the necessities of life - I don't have to be on a fixed income to mean it.

Flak999 00:01 31 Oct 2011

fourm member

"It seems to me that they enter politics because, in fact, they can't live happier lives by turning their backs of other people's problems. It would be bizarre, to me, for someone to go to all the bother to enter politics just to 'pretend' to care."

Are you really that naive? Of course none of the millionaires who are members of the cabinet do it to earn a living, they don't need to do they?

It is the pursuit of power which drives them, it is the desire to climb to the top of that greasy pole, to have their picture adorn the staircase of number ten, to wield influence, to make and destroy, above all to leave their mark on the world.

Whether they be Cromwell, the Kaiser, Hitler or Stalin. Down the centuries leaders of all political persuasions, Kennedy, Nixon, Thatcher or Blair, it does not matter if they be Saddam or Gaddafi. All of them desire just one thing POWER!

It is a drug which corrupts absolutely, they may exercise it benignly, or they may use it for evil but it is the thing they most desire.

Ultimately it is the thing that finishes them all!

Flak999 00:18 31 Oct 2011

Forum Editor

"The fact remains that when a politician says he or she understands that large numbers of the population are struggling to make ends meet, it's probably true - understanding something isn't the same as experiencing it. I understand that people on fixed incomes are vulnerable when it comes to the rising cost of some of the necessities of life - I don't have to be on a fixed income to mean it."

I'm sure he does understand it! It's not rocket science, after all! But does he care? Do you care?

I understand it, but I'm living my life, with all the trials and tribulations that most of us have. Do I give more than a fleeting thought to the rest of society who are struggling like everyone else? NO, and I suspect that you don't either.

As somebody of a religious persuasion might say "we all have our cross to bear" Politicians are no different from the rest of us (except when they are millionaires!)it is just patronising nonsense for them to say they understand what living on a fixed income is like.

Just the same as "we are all in it together" pure cant and hypocrisy!

lotvic 00:53 31 Oct 2011

I have to agree with Flak999 about most of them being driven by Power

During a Consultation with Local Council on better access for the Disabled (the new laws were about to be implemented and the Council rep asked for advice on kerb placements, parking etc.) I had to write to every member of the local Council about different aspects. Their response letters were full of 'understanding the difficulties' but more than 50% of them didn't know what the Blue Badge Scheme was for.... and none of them was willing to spend 2 hours in a wheelchair to experience the difficulties.

lotvic 00:56 31 Oct 2011

edit: were willing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?