The feeling is mutual

Stuartli 13:30 27 Jun 2007

The parting shot from the self styled "First Lady" to the media in Downing Street extensively covering Tony Blair's last moments as Prime Minister, that "I'm sure we won't miss you" confirmed one thing.

She is certainly no lady.

dan* 13:32 27 Jun 2007

Ditto.

Kate B 13:44 27 Jun 2007

I think if you were in the position of being a spouse to a political leader you'd have a very ambivalent relationship with the press. It must be hard to keep your own life separate from your partner's and the lines must blur all the time. I also bet the celebrity that goes with the role is seductive and hard to keep in perspective.

Cherie Blair has had a particularly rough time - she's very smart, very clever and very successful as a barrister in her own right and I imagine finds the role of "Mrs Prime Minister" difficult to reconcile with her other roles. She's also not particularly photogenic, and she's really suffered at the hands of picture desks who take a delight in using truly awful pictures of her. She's made some crass misjudgments, but wouldn't we all fail to be perfect in that role? I bet she won't miss it. I'd hate to be in that position.

Al94 14:10 27 Jun 2007

My thoughts exactly Stuartli - a truly awful woman. All previous PM's other halves had a bit of breeding and knew how to fulfil the role in a respectful manner. She didn't know when to shut up - right to the end!

Cymro. 15:02 27 Jun 2007

Once the press in this country get their teeth in to someone then they are like a dog with

a bone and the celeb. who ever they may be don`t stand a chance. Character assassination

is something the British press do far too often. I have very little to say for Cherie Blair

but I would not like my wife or my children to have to put up with some of the things the

press have said about C.B. For a politician it is sadly all part of the job but leave their spouses alone.

Guardianangel 15:20 27 Jun 2007

I think she was referring to the media and, although I'm no Cherie fan, I agree with her in that.

Stuartli 15:32 27 Jun 2007

I did make that clear in my first paragraph.

Forum Editor 17:29 27 Jun 2007

Perhaps "All previous PM's other halves" didn't have quite the intellect that Cherie has. I have a lawyer client who knows her pretty well professionally, and he says she has a formidable mind.

Like Kate B, I think Cherie and the press have had an uneasy relationship, due mainly to the way that some papers have repeatedly searched out the least flattering images of her for publication. Her discomfort when in front of the cameras was evident, and I bet millions of women identify strongly with her on that. Trying to be a barrister, a mother, and a Prime Minister's wife, all at the same time must be a total nightmare. I can quite understand her parting shot - she must be immensely relieved that it's all over.

anskyber 17:35 27 Jun 2007

I agree.

It is quite sad that for many here Speaker's Corner is seen as a vehicle for rather cheap political pops.

Whinger's Corner, seems more and more appropriate.

Stuartli 17:39 27 Jun 2007

I've no doubt that she is an intelligent woman, so it's all the more surprising that she made the remark in such circumstances - I'll bet a pound to a penny that it will come back to haunt her, as it will be replayed time and time again.

Stuartli 17:44 27 Jun 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?