Fed up with 0870 numbers?

newman35 07:51 25 Feb 2007

I'm finding that more and more businesses are using 0870 numbers, and they cost a lot when compared to 'normal' 01/02 type numbers - and nearly always put you in a queue.
Then you are paying about 8p a min to listen to their music or blurb.
I have a package that gives me 'free' calls, but, of course, these 0870 numbers are excluded!
Robbery.

georgemac © 08:21 25 Feb 2007

click here it will end in January 2008 anyway, if companies still want o charge more than the geographic rate there will be a warning at the start of the call

in the meantime use this site to find alternative numbers click here

newman35 08:40 25 Feb 2007

Good to hear 0870 is being stopped next year, but (if I read your link correctly) the companies will just be able to switch to 0871!
What a shambles, should the 'regulator' not be looking after consumer interests?
I find it incredibly hard to know the difference between all these different numbers, 0870/0871/0845/0844 etc and now you mention 03 as well. Confused - yes I am, and I think I may not be alone!!

georgemac © 09:29 25 Feb 2007

I never mentioned 03 but these will be introduced but under the same rules as 0870 numbers - these will be included in call packages etc, but if a company wants to charge more the caller will hear a pre-recorded message before they are connected or charged telling them how much the call will cost

cannot find out any info about 0871 - the ultimate choice is you do not dial it or refuse to buy products from companies who use these numbers?

newman35 09:34 25 Feb 2007

03 was mentioned on the site you gave me.
I will certainly be trying to avoid 0870 companies when buying stuff - rip-off merchants.
The 'sayno to 0870' site looks interesting though, thanks for that.

spuds 12:58 25 Feb 2007

This past week, I have used a 0870 telephone number 6 times. In each case, I was placed on-hold for a considerable time. Very annoying, when you keep being told " your call is important to us", especially when I am footing the bill I would imagine. In each case, when I made contact with a human, the conversation didn't take very long at all.

newman35 22:45 25 Feb 2007

The forums on the 'saynoto0870' site are most interesting,I only came across them by accident. This 0870 scam is far more pernicious than I thought.
There is even a petition to the Prime Minister that I've now signed, at click here.
Funny the things you learn on this forum!

[email protected] 22:49 25 Feb 2007

Do companies that use 0870 numbers actually get a cut of the cost or is it only premium lines that do that?

Stuartli 23:15 25 Feb 2007

Yes, they get a cut.

Many of the UK's top companies use such numbers.

newman35 07:32 26 Feb 2007

Which is why they also hold you in queues for lengthy spells so that they are getting their 'cut'of your money. If you dial on an ordinary 01/02 type number they get nothing.
I object to being forced to use 0870 when something has gone wrong with THEIR product - and they can hold me in a queue and make me pay more because of THEIR faulty goods!
I don't mind 'premium rate' numbers like 09... because then you know you are paying extra for that service (and cannot be put in a queue, I think) - but 0870 is really 'premium' also, but they don't have to tell you it's costing you more! Sign the petition!

newman35 07:48 26 Feb 2007

ps Should have said, well done to PC Advisor for using '0rdinary' contact numbers, not 0870 scam.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?