For FE

STREETWORK 19:58 22 Sep 2006

Just a thought for Forum Editor...

Obviously there are a lot of people out there in didgy land who share free advice and help resolve users problems. Would there be a way of adding these helpers to a side bar showing who is online at the time? Could be set up as invite only. Forum users would then know if the person helping is online or not, get my drift?

ade.h 20:18 22 Sep 2006

It would be a very long sidebar....

Besides, I'd rather not. I would imagine that a lot of people feel the same.

alB 20:21 22 Sep 2006

might work on a forum with a small membership but I doubt it would be viable on here with 197870 odd users ...alB

ade.h 20:23 22 Sep 2006

We're not all odd... ;o)

lisa02 20:23 22 Sep 2006

On duty.

So you'd know they are there to be called upon.

Thing is they (regular contributors) aren't there to be called upon, have any duties or pressures. Their advice is given freely there and then, no strings attached.

anskyber 20:24 22 Sep 2006

Its a nice idea but I can already feel the disapproval, or at least more realistically an explanation of the balance of what is reasonable to do on a site like this. (Never a good idea to predict the FEs response)

I do recall that when responding to an earlier post on who is on line the FE said that with broadband "aways on" connections it could appear as if someone is there when in fact they are not. I recall it was following a very short time when the number of people online was highlighted with the number of registered members. For example i log on in the morning and log off at night but I am not there all of the time even though the site is open as a window.

alB 20:31 22 Sep 2006

Touche !!...:o)

STREETWORK 20:51 22 Sep 2006

Fair points listed, it was a thought...

wolfie3000 22:17 22 Sep 2006

One idea is a chat room for forum members to discus ideas and help others?

Forum Editor 22:33 22 Sep 2006

We're not going to have a chatroom - it's difficult enough watching the forum as it is.

SANTOS7 22:39 22 Sep 2006

The forum is the chatroom, you only have to look at some of the "asides" and i think the anonimity of the forum users works perfectly as we all really have a lot in common, FIDDLING with ya PC till it's a total tortoise then coming on here and CHATTING about it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?