Favourite Guitar Riff

DANZIG 08:53 02 Apr 2008

They're doing this on BBC breakfast at the minute.

Apparently the top one is 'Smoke on the Water' by Deep Purple, now although it fits the bill - memorable, catchy and bears millions of listens - is it the best??

I'm not so sure.

Personally I think 'Foot Tapper' by The Shadows, 'Master of Puppets' by Metallica and pretty much anything by 'The Dead Kennedys' is better.

Anyone else got an opinion??

lofty29 09:06 02 Apr 2008

I think the shads are the best guitar group of them all, and my favourite is APACHE

interzone55 09:17 02 Apr 2008

I watched this earlier.

Some of the presenter's & viewers' suggestions trod the fine line between riff & guitar solo, yes Pink Floyd's guitar work is masterful, but it's not exactly easy to play, so doesn't count as a riff.

For me the greatest riff has to be Smells Like Teen Spirit.

bstb3 09:19 02 Apr 2008

Sweet child of mine by Guns and Roses fits the bill for me, or Enter Sandman by Metallica. Both give me goose bumps every time I hear them.

Apache by the shadows was the first riff I can remember hearing, I think thats what got me started into guitar driven music

Quickbeam 09:27 02 Apr 2008

Can you dig it? click here

Si_L 09:52 02 Apr 2008

Tom Morrelo (Rage against the Machine and Audioslave) has some technically awesome riffs.

haresear 09:55 02 Apr 2008

Has to be one of:- Layla by "the god" , Hotel California or how about Ticket to Ride .Think part of the problem is the confusion between a riff and memorable guitar on a single song.

Quickbeam 10:09 02 Apr 2008

click here There's a lifetime of favourites out there for me:)

donki 12:36 02 Apr 2008

Ohhhhh so many by the mighty Tom Morrello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave fame... il name one from each, Renagades of Funk and Shadow of the Sun. I wouldnt say there are many fans on this forum thou.

jimv7 12:41 02 Apr 2008

Clapton classical gas click here

Seth Haniel 13:16 02 Apr 2008

and a favourite 'Green Onions' by booker T & the MG's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?