Fat tax

Kate B 22:03 09 Nov 2006

I've just watched a repeat of a polemic documentary by Giles Coren in which he suggests that fat people should be taxed to recoup some of the costs to the economy of obesity which he calculates to be £3.5bn a year.

Good idea? Bad idea? Offensive? Radically brilliant?

wiz-king 22:06 09 Nov 2006

George Brown wont tax himself! What about all the other 'fat cats', I see pressure brought on HM Gov.

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:07 09 Nov 2006

Needs a Fat Lip.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 09 Nov 2006

Not everyone is FAT due to over eating, there are several causes for excessive weight., genetic and mental for instance.

ed-0 22:10 09 Nov 2006

If they have no clinical condition that makes them overweight, then tax them.

They do it for those that smoke and drink. These cost the NHS billions every year. They tax those who pollute the atmosphere with there cars.

I heard the minister say on the radio the other day that the government had no plans to tax people " on breathing ", at the moment.

Kate B 22:12 09 Nov 2006

Meant to post this link - apologies, it's from the Daily Mail, but it's a piece by Coren expanding on his idea

click here

ezypcy 22:16 09 Nov 2006

Practical solution -
A brown tax!!!!

Never seen a man fat after a diet of bread and water.

ed-0 22:17 09 Nov 2006

That seems a good idea. so when we fill in our tax return we take them to our doctor or tax office? Pop on the scales. We can then get weighed and our tax code would be adjusted accordingly.:-)

PurplePenny 22:19 09 Nov 2006

If he made a similar suggestion that anorexics and bulemics should likewise be taxed he would be (quite rightly) castigated.

Kate B 22:20 09 Nov 2006

I have to say I think it's a good, if very provocative, idea. The programme made several interesting points - one was that contrary to obesity being a result of poverty, it's possible to buy healthy food cheaply. Another pointed out that you're charged excess luggage if your suitcase is over a set limit by airlines but not if the extra pounds you're carrying are around your middle - and it costs more in fuel to carry the additional weight and creates more carbon emissions.

Personally I think highly processed food has a lot to answer for - if you read food labels you'll see that they're full of sugar and fat. And salt, but that's another issue.

ezypcy 22:21 09 Nov 2006

G.I.G.O.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?