Farm Produce

laurie53 20:08 15 Jul 2009

Just back from a local farm shop where I enquired the provenance of the tomatoes.

Dutch, I was told.

Now no-one expects a farm to produce all the stuff sold in its shop, and some things must be bought in, but I would have thought that in the middle of summer it might be possible to find a UK supplier of tomatoes.

The very reason I go to a farm shop, and pay farm shop prices, is to get, as far as feasible, local produce.

rdave13 20:38 15 Jul 2009

The farmer might have been talking about the seeds.
:-|

al's left peg 21:38 15 Jul 2009

If you ever get the chance go to Knowes farm Shop near East Linton near Edinburgh, it's the best one I have been in and I live In Newcastle.
It has great range of local produce with specials on seasonal produce. I don't know where the tomotoes come from though.

Bingalau 22:00 15 Jul 2009

Get yourself an allotment and dig for victory,

Stuartli 22:04 15 Jul 2009

All the farm shops in my area (and there are a lot) sell their own produce, that of other major farmers and some products from further afield if necessary.

You can't beat a well run and stocked farm shop - the taste and freshness are vastly superior to much of the supermarkets' offerings.

Forum Editor 22:24 15 Jul 2009

that farm shops only sell what is grown locally?

As fourm member has pointed out, most farm shops are just shops that happen to be on or near farms.

Stuartli 22:36 15 Jul 2009

In my case the vast majority of farm shops are exactly that - we live in an vast area of general farms and market gardeners and a lot of their output is distributed all over the country.

One of the bonuses at present is that locally grown new potatoes are absolutely superb...:-)

This is one, for instance, we visit regularly when coming back from Liverpool hospitals:

click here

cream. 22:40 15 Jul 2009

is state subsidised. That means they can throw artificial light and heat at it at an earlier stage. The state pick up part of the cost but they then have a large export market.

This gives them an edge of 6 to 8 weeks over the British Tom that will come to our shelves in the next 3 to 4 weeks. Our greenhouse growers rely on natural light and heat for a superior tom and it costs less to grow :-)

spuds 22:46 15 Jul 2009

Perhaps it may pay to check where your organic produce comes from, and whether it is truly organic.

In our location, there as been two companies who have been prosecuted recently, due to selling 'organic produce' that wasn't from organic sources.

Forum Editor 22:57 15 Jul 2009

and for a few weeks each year I have the pleasure of eating tomatoes that have only been off the vine for a few minutes.

Mind you, my crop coincides with that of the commercial growers, so when British tomatoes are flooding the shops mine are flooding the kitchen - it's not a money-saving exercise.

Stuartli 23:45 15 Jul 2009

But if your tomatoes are even half as good as those my late father-in-law used to grow, then they will be absolutely delicious.

In fact people used to come from some distance to buy them from him (this was before the ability to grow or supply produce virtually all year round).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017