Fantastic facts

spikeychris 21:03 03 Oct 2008

Cyberspace weighs less than two ounces.. Russel Seitz took estimates for size and traffic of the entire Internet, and used this with the weight of the energy used to move a byte of information around. Although minuscule individually, over trillions and trillions of bytes it slowly added up. How large is the Internet? According to Russel Seitz: two ounces.

So there.

bluto1 21:11 03 Oct 2008

.....and I bet that includes the torrents of spam!!

interzone55 22:44 03 Oct 2008

But one of the Cisco routers that push the data around weighs in at around 60kg.

I dropped on down the stairs once and it severely damaged the stairs but the router was totally undamaged...

Forum Editor 22:56 03 Oct 2008

the energy - in this case the electricity - which powers the internet doesn't have any weight at all. It's the protons and electrons which are moved around by the energy that have mass.

wolfie3000 23:29 03 Oct 2008

Would be interesting to see how much energy is pushed round the internet, I bet its a mind bending number.

egapup 11:13 04 Oct 2008

Electricity doesnt have any weight?? that means it's made of nothing, so why does it cost bloody much.

GRIDD 11:21 04 Oct 2008

To me the definition of the Internet is that it's a big network of networks - so I'd class the weight of the Internet as the weight of every device connected.

lofty29 11:29 04 Oct 2008

FE
how then does that equate to: E=Mc2( unable to do superscript)

Forum Editor 12:27 04 Oct 2008

It gets complicated, in fact defining electricity gets extremely complicated, and I'm certainly no physicist.

Suffice it to say that electricity - either in the form of a charge or as electromagnetic energy (which is what most people think of when they use the word 'electricity') has no weight. It affects other things which do have weight, however, and I think that's probably what Russel Seitz is talking about.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 04 Oct 2008

Electricity is a form of energy.
Energy can not be created or destroyed but can be transformed from one kind to another.

Electricity is made (transformed) from chemical energy sources (mostly), Oil Gas Coal Uranium Plutonium.

These sources need to be dug up, transported and are then placed in the big machines we call power stations to be transformed into electricty.

The electricity is then transported to our homes and industrial sites.

the cost is therefore the cost of the power station, mining and transportation.

Unfortunately there is always energy losses (waste) when energy is transformed from one type to another.

If we could transform gram of coal directly into energy with out losses, our energy problems would be solved.

egapup 21:02 04 Oct 2008

Yes i know......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?