False Scam alarm or not?

kinger 14:39 15 Nov 2006

Recieved thsi today, is it another false alarm, does anyone know? ...

Royal Mail postal scam.

"Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail.
The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at click here"

Best regards

IClaudio 14:42 15 Nov 2006

... as has already been noted on this forum and just about everywhere else over the past month or so.

There's some debate over whether you can actually be charged £15 for a one-second phone call.

kinger 16:05 15 Nov 2006

Thought so. You're right about the immediate £15 payments too, BT say no telephone exchange in the world can be set up to charge £15 for one second.

Sorry, didn't read other posts as they didn't come up on my search term but I can remember a similar scam discussion last year.

Thanks for replying.

VoG II 16:27 15 Nov 2006
  Bogbrain 20:45 15 Nov 2006

I wonder how many idiots will get duped though. It still amazes me the amount of gullible people about on & offline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?