Fairies and other Fantasies

laurie53 20:05 29 Jun 2007

I was leaning on the parapet of a wooden bridge the other day when a young man of about two or three advised me to be careful, as he thought a troll lived under the bridge.

I pointed out that since I was not Billy Goat Gruff, and I was not going Trippety Trappety over the bridge I should be safe, whereupon he told me with irrefutable child’s logic, that trolls were not to be trusted, and since there was no Billy Goat Gruff available I might be taken instead.

At this point his grandmother came and scolded him for talking stuff and nonsense, and told him there were no such things as trolls.

I found this rather sad. I have no grandchildren myself, but if I had I think I would try to keep their fantasies intact for a bit.

Am I out of touch? Is the modern way to allow children to only deal in proven facts? Have the PC brigade finally decided to do away with fairy stories?

Laurie

Totally-braindead 20:19 29 Jun 2007

It seems harmless enough to me, only thing I can say is the child must be a lucky one as his parents must be reading to him at bedtime some of the old childrens tales. Sadly this sort of thing in many cases seems to be a thing of the past and many parents don't do this sort of thing, children in many cases seldom read books and instead watch the gogglebox. Terrible shame really as a childs imagination can create an image for him/her when listening to a story the the greatest cinema blockbuster could not hope to emulate.

Guardianangel 20:20 29 Jun 2007

Fairy stories are still around but they go under the name of Dr Who now.

spikeychris 20:27 29 Jun 2007

No such thing as trolls? The net is full of them click here

Totally-braindead 20:29 29 Jun 2007

We've had a few on here spikeychris but thanks to the FE they don't last long. Thankfully.

Kate B 20:29 29 Jun 2007

A lot of the old fairytales are pretty brutal stuff - evil trolls, wicked stepmothers and horrible stepsisters, allegories of sexual awakening etc. Pretty grown-up stuff, if you ask me!

On the point, though, I think it's a shame not to let kids be kids. Children believe in fairies and suchlike, and it's nice to see a bit of magic being spread around. There's plenty of time to be cynical and not believe in fairies.

lisa02 20:33 29 Jun 2007

Am I out of touch?

No.

I thought your story was very adorable. My 3 yr old loves stories and adds to them as we read the story. My 5 yr old has a terrible time with concentration - after about 5 seconds she's gone off. It is improving with a good balanced diet and omega-3 supplements.

spikeychris 20:39 29 Jun 2007

Laurie, if you meet Granny again tell her to watch out for the chick in red in the woods and the geezer under the bridge is now known as Billy Goat GANDALF <|:-)>
:o)

Bingalau 21:03 29 Jun 2007

spikeychris. I can't see you getting away with that remark somehow.

spikeychris 21:20 29 Jun 2007

Me and the G man go back a long way, a lot of water has travelled under the bridge....

Bingalau 21:32 29 Jun 2007

I'm sure I read recently somewhere about a man out walking with his dog. the dog spooked when they came to a mound. So the man investigated the mound and found a crack in the side of it, so he got his little torch off his key ring and shone it inside. He saw what he at first thought was the body of a baby, but very small. He then dragged it out with a stick and it was a mummified body of a fairy with wings etc. Did any one else read this or am I imagining it? I may have come across it on the internet, but I just can't remember.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache