Facial Recognition Health & Safety

laurie53 07:27 20 Aug 2008

It appears that there is a trial of facial recognition software at Manchester airport. I won't post a link, as this thread is about something else.

A union official said on the news last night that it has been rushed in, and there are health and safety aspects.

I wonder what they are, bearing in mind that health and safety legislation deals with health and safety at work, and most of the people using this technology won't actually be at work?

(Yes, FE, I know your work, and that of many others, involves much time at airports, but surely not the majority, at provincial airports?)

€dstowe 07:51 20 Aug 2008

I don't know the detail of this but, never forget that some jobsworths will find a H&S issue with putting one foot in front of the other in order to walk.

wiz-king 08:29 20 Aug 2008

You are obviously in need of some serious H&S training if you put 'one foot in front of the other' whist walking. May I suggest that you re-learn how to walk placing your feet in parallel tracks thus eliminating the possibility of tripping. {:-)

peter99co 10:03 20 Aug 2008

The union has to be seen doing something even if it is just to follow in the steps of the Luddites

Wilham 10:34 20 Aug 2008

I agree with €dstowe, it is an expected union reaction.

smartpoly 10:49 20 Aug 2008

This might help, maybe for the weekend?

click here

spuds 11:24 20 Aug 2008

Possibly the union official was hoping for extended discussions regarding his members involvement, and future training plus 'graded' pay rises!.

Isn't modern technology a wonderful thing. I remember the days, when the ears, eyes and nose was the facial recognition at most check points :O)

But then again, new technology was 'rushed in' at T5, and look what happened there. Seems to have gone very quiet lately, and what reports are being made, it appears to being a now success.

Forum Editor 16:11 20 Aug 2008

to think of a single Healthy and Safety 'aspect' to this. It seems like a great idea - as does anything that will make it faster and easier to transit an airport.

I do spend a fair bit of time in these places, as you say, and I spend a good deal of it wondering why, in the 21st century, when we can send a message around the globe in a few seconds, it takes us so long to move me less than half a mile to or from an aircraft. I can buy my ticket online, choose and reserve my seat on the aircraft, check in online, and print my boarding pass. I'm ready to travel when I get in the car to drive to the aiport; the airline knows I'm coming, my country of destination knows I'm coming, all I have to do is put my bag on a conveyor at the fast drop, and let's go.

What follows is a nightmare of waiting - followed by another nightmare of waiting air-side whilst the aiport owners present me with as many shopping opportunities as they can think of. Then there's another move to another holding pen, euphemistically called 'the boarding gate', where I wait yet again whilst the ground staff chat interminably amongst themselves.

We've all been through it, and I feel as if several years of my life have been wasted. What really gets me is that I'm paying good money for the priviledge of sitting around - even if the airlines do try to placate me by offering a Business class lounge in which to vegetate with some free refreshments.

There must be all kinds of ways to streamline the whole awful process, but of course the wait in the departure lounges will never be axed - the airport owners want all that lovely revenue from the shop rentals.

Roll out face recognition I say, and to hell with the Health and Safety 'aspects' - they're nothing compared to the stress we all suffer as we spend half a day on the starting blocks, waiting for the gun.

Can you tell I hate airports?

Bingalau 17:05 20 Aug 2008

I've never thought about that aspect of waiting in the airports before. Whenever we arrive at the airport as a gang of about six going on holiday. We are more or less prepared for the long wait. Which I thought was to do with security. But I must admit after thinking about it there really should be no need for it. Every passenger should be processed on entering the airport itself and that should be that. Incidentally we pass the time by having a pic-nic and we try to buy as little as possible. We certainly keep well away from the money exchange robbery desk. Buying a pint of beer is beyond the reach of our pockets. Maybe that's why I prefer to go to places like France or Germany by boat... A nice leisurely drive down to Dover and a good rest on the boat with a semi decent meal, then continue the journey refreshed.

Forum Editor 17:19 20 Aug 2008

Maybe there's a difference between an airport visit once or twice a year for holiday purposes, and a repeated dose on a frequent basis. If you're off on holiday the whole airport thing can be part of the experience, and not necessarily a bad one. I've spoken to people who really enjoy it.

If, on the other hand your flight is just part of a working day it can be a very different kettle of fish. There have been times when I've wondered why on earth I chose to work in a way that involves flying so often.

spuds 17:44 20 Aug 2008

"wondered why on earth I chose to work in a way that involves flying so often". I did that in an hotel room in Tel Aviv in the 1980's. It was a marvellous snap decision and freedom ;o)

With regards to airports, I note in todays media, BAA have been told to offload some or most of their airports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?