Exterior use Varnish

Mr Mistoffelees 17:16 08 Jun 2014
Answered

Anyone got any recommendations please, for use on the wooden slats of a seat that is outside in all weathers, all year round? It is in a south by south-west facing position so gets the worst of the rain but, also needs good UV resistance.

spuds 17:28 08 Jun 2014

Perhaps not the answer, but might give you a few ideas? click here click here

carver 18:33 08 Jun 2014

For a start what type of wood is the seat made of, sometimes using varnish to try to seal the wood is the worse thing you can do.

But before you do anything find out what type of wood it is.

Quickbeam 19:16 08 Jun 2014

I've used Sadoline to good effect over the years, but I believe it's a first treatment. First in that it soaks into the new timber.

Forum Editor 19:44 08 Jun 2014
Answer

Use Sadolin, provided the timber has not previously been varnished. If it has, you'll need to sand the timber back - a laborious job on a garden seat.

Sadolin Classic will be absorbed into the timber, and will stain it to whatever colour you select. After that, coat the seat with Sadolin Extra.

Varnish is not a suitable finish in this context. No matter what anyone says, it will not withstand the rigours of the weather for long; Sadolin will.

carver 19:46 08 Jun 2014

If you want to go down the varnish rout take a bit of advice and use this sikkens it will far out last ANY exterior varnish, but it comes at a price.

It will look far better than any varnish you can think of, but if you have a hardwood seat there is no need for any thing apart from a good clean and teak oil.

That is why I asked what wood its made from.

bumpkin 19:58 08 Jun 2014

I have used sikkens on many things, very easy to apply and worth the cost in my opinion. Sadolin also good as explained by FE. Personally I would go for sikkens but it depends on other factors, is it new, has it been treated before, what kind of wood etc.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:52 08 Jun 2014

I think I will go down the Sadolin route, thanks FE.

bumpkin 22:14 08 Jun 2014

A good choice, better than any varnish for your requirement and a lot easier to use.

carver 01:16 09 Jun 2014

*Mr Mistoffelees * you haven't explained what sort of wood the seat is made of, is it old wood/ new wood.

Reason I ask is because it can make all the difference to how you treat it, get it wrong and you can make a perfectly good piece of wood turn into rot in no time.

I have chairs that are left out all the time and they are now 18 years old and all they get is a clean and teak oiled twice a year , yet a table bought 4 years ago has rotted because the finish applied by the manufactures kept the wood wet.

hastelloy 08:40 09 Jun 2014

I agree with carver. Teak oil is the best bet, but use with care Teak oil. What the link doesn't sy is - don't leave a cloth soaked in teak oil screwed up - it can burst into flames.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?