Expensive Drunken Night Out?

peter99co 13:32 11 Feb 2011

Drunk A&E patients 'should pay' for hospital treatment.

click here

Will it happen?

wiz-king 13:56 11 Feb 2011

I agree.

No it wont happen, they - the 'victim'- will only try to claim if from the local council as a social service.

carver 15:34 11 Feb 2011

Couple of problems, who is to say how drunk you have to be before they can charge you for treatment and the second one is if hospitals did charge then it would most likely cost more to run than the fee they charged.

Apart from those problems how do you prove that the person with the injury caused by a fall is at the hospital because of drink or just as a result he or she just tripped because of a pot hole.

Pineman100 15:40 11 Feb 2011

I find it difficult to disagree with the principle of this idea - drunkenness is, after all, a purely voluntary condition.

But if you apply the principle to drunks, should you not also get smokers to pay for their cancer treatment, the obese to pay for their gastric bands, heart attack treatment, etc.... create your own list.

Chegs ®™ 16:01 11 Feb 2011

Our health authority trust thought about charging drunks for treatments several years ago,but I don't recall ever reading the outcome.I agree its an idea that could never be workable for the reasons given above.

peter99co 17:31 11 Feb 2011

If an ambulance is involved it is easy to send a bill. I got one when I had a Motorcycle Accident.

As it was not my fault it was paid by the other blokes insurance.

An Ambulance and a Breathalyzer could work well together. Send the bill to the person over the limit. Easy.

carver 17:43 11 Feb 2011

But what would be the limit, 5 pints for one person is a starter, another person could be slurring his words on 2 pints but he has just had a stroke.

OTT_B 18:38 11 Feb 2011

This would be the start of a very slippery slope.

Admiral Allstar 19:32 11 Feb 2011

people already pay for a&e via tax & ni. charging drunk people should result in a rebate on their tax bill - after all the point of the nhs is a free service at point of use. if we are to charge people then perhaps we should look at the nhs tourists who get free treatment (and dont tell me they pay as they go home before the bill arrives).

If we start to charge one section of the population then we will abolish the nhs as part of government spending and charge all users by use.

[email protected] 02:16 12 Feb 2011

The Americans seem to have a very different attitude towards alcohol than we do. I was amazed when I started University that the vast majority of American students aged 18-20 had NEVER been drunk before. Over here I'd say most people (at least attempt to) start drinking from the age of 16, whether that be at house parties, on the streets or being served in pubs / clubs. It's a shame that it's one of the few American trends that we don't follow!

I think increasing the drinking age to 21 will one day have to be seriously considered.

Forum Editor 07:38 12 Feb 2011

I had a flat in a small Spanish seaside town. We used it for holidays when the children were small. During the whole time we stayed there I can honestly say that I didn't see a single Spanish person drunk in the streets, or in any public place.

The young people went out and enjoyed themselves, ate in restaurants, and used the bars etc., but they didn't seem to cause any trouble.

It's a cultural thing,this idea that you go drinking until you're drunk, and it can be stopped, as fourm member points out. We do it by setting an example to our children, and by making it clear to them that being drunk in public is socially unacceptable.

The problem is, how do we set about achieving that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?