Executive Compensation

laurie53 18:31 08 Dec 2007

The ex-Chief Executive of NHS 24 resigned after only six months "because he held a number of external commitments which he could not balance with his chief executive duties."

click here

He was awarded £50K compensation.

Now this guy wasn't sacked, wasn't made redundant, he left to do other things, and yet he gets £50K of NHS money as compensation. For what?

One wonders how many doses of Herceptin £50K would buy.

Totally-braindead 18:41 08 Dec 2007

I presume some idiot signed a contract saying that he would get money if he resigned for whatever reason.

Its pathetic, he resigned because he had other commitments which I take to mean other work(maybe not it doesn't say), so he should get nothing, nadda, zip.

If you resigned from your job because you had other commitments would you get anything? NO. You wouldn't even get unemployment benefit as you resigned.

spuds 19:28 08 Dec 2007

The government have already intervened on four such 'pay-out' cases recently. Perhaps they may intervene here.

When a NHS Trust can pay a temporary Chief Executive £100.000.00 for three months consulting 'work', which included a three week 'pre-arranged' holiday and hotel living expenses, then nothing surprises me. But as the Trust Board stated "He was the best and most experienced man for the job", at the time. There is still no explanation as to the sudden departure of the previous Chief Executive, even though some people considered that he was doing a perfect job.

Totally-braindead 21:52 08 Dec 2007

Surely the two jobs must be different?

Chief Constable of the Police to Chief Executive of a NHS trust, don't seem that similar do they?

And he was the best man for the job?

Something strange there I think.

DrScott 00:00 09 Dec 2007

to spit nails...

The say they have to charge staff for parking, the can't allow staff any coffee/tea/milk, make me use cheap drugs to gas people with, encourage us to cut corners to save costs, and then happily hand out huge somes of money to management types.

The money isn't getting to the patients.

spuds 14:02 09 Dec 2007

I often wonder how many of these CEO and Trust members really on private hospital plans, that are paid for by public expenditure?.

I have just been informed, that my next consultant's appointment as been put back three months, because the local consultation facility is closing down and all work is being transfered to the main hospital. Last time I used the hospital for this particular consultation, it took 6 hours of travelling by public transport and waiting time, on a miserable wet day. The local facility no more than half an hour total. If I use my own transport, the travelling time will be less, but I then need to find a possible fee paying parking space, in a ever decreasing vehicle parking area.

A few months ago, I received a large questionnaire from out local NHS Health Trust(survey conducted by a contracted-out company)regarding possible future improvements to our local NHS services, that I thought would be ideal.Took 35/45 minutes to complete all details, what a total waste of time, it now appears to be a cosmetic exercise. Instead of improving facilities, they are now making deeper cuts and reducing services and facilities. One of the consultants that I use on a fairly regular basis, plus one of his colleagues have just resigned from a special committee, due to the same reasons. Improvements or Cuts, Cuts win every time.Him and his colleagues are fed-up sounding like hollow voices.

Quickbeam 14:47 09 Dec 2007

"Its only public money"

That was an favourite saying of an old gaffer of mine... "public money... only tupence a bucketful"!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?